1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Classifiers and COMPUTERS!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slide action, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

There seems to be a growing problem with some classifers at ATA shoots. Instead of using the shooters ATA card they pull a number out of a "computer". I guess they don't realize that the ACTUAL average AND yardage on your card is what determines your class/yardage, NOT what's in the computer, which is ONLY as accurate as the latest data entry. The computer could be HUNDREDS of targets behind. Beleive it or not I have actually seen a classifier argue that a shooter should shoot closer than his assigned yardage because the "COMPUTER" had him at a closer yardage than his current yaradage! The computers may help but they are NOT the offical data for classification. The ATA card "ITSELF" is what deterimes that.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I almost agree with slide action. A computer should not classify shooters. The information in the computer along with the information on the card should be used, along with some judgment, to classify shooters.

I will help classify at a larger shoot in a couple of weeks. The computers will loaded with current information from the AT computer. For around 90% of the shooters, the information in the computer will be adequate for correct classification. For around 10% of the shooters, I will pull up their history on the computer, look at the card and do my very best to be fair to the shooter I am classifying and the other shooters. The line between class A and AA is 96.25. One shooter with a 96.20 and several 100 straights and a three year history of AA scores will end up in AA. Another shooter with the same average, no 100 straights and a three year history of class A scores will probably end up in class A. I always talk with the shooter and ask him what he believes is fair when making these judgments. We will also have a short list of shooter names with a peculiar shooting history. They will be classified with great care.

About 15 times I will find a shooter with a yardage on his card that is different than the yardage in the computer. I will pull up his history and often find that he was granted a reduction that he did not know about. He will have the option of accepting or refusing the reduction at the table, with approval from a member of the CHC who will be sitting at the computer next to me. If he was given the reduction some time ago and he has shot many targets at his old yardage, that is de facto evidence that he has refused the reduction.

All shooters should be aware that proper classification is their responsibility. If I make a mistake and classify Phil K. as a Sub Jr/Lady, the mistake is his problem. The classification of anyone who wins, ties or even shoots a high score in any event is reviewed early the next morning. A list of the top 5 scores in every class and category for every event is at the classification table. The system is not perfect, but overall, it works well.

Pat Ireland

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Classifiers come in all skill levels. Pat happens to take his job seriously and is one of the better ones. I have even tried to talk my way into D class and he wasn't buying it.

Don

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don- You wouldn't buy it either. But, if I classify you at the Southern Grand, I will put you on my yardage and I will shoot on your yardage.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.