1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Classification?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

At an upcoming shoot the minimum targets shall be 1000 for singles & caps in the current & previous year. Does it mean 1000 in 2007 & 1000 in 2008 or a total of 1000 for both 2007 & 2008. Thanks.

Lou

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It means that you combine - that is "sum" - the targets in years 2008 and 2007 and if they total more than 1000 you don't shoot penalty.

That's why the word "combined" is so useful in writing programs like that.

Neil

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Part 2 of my above question: if a shooter doesn't have a 1000 required targets, the max penalty yardage is the 25 yd line in caps. Can the classifier award less than the 25 yd line. The shooter in question is a 20 yd shooter & the best cap score is till date is 92.

Thanks again.

Lou

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Normally it means having a total of 1,000 targets across the two year period and no - I never understood why things are written in a confusing way.

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Penalties are controlled by the program. Many will state a two yard penalty with a minimum of 23 yards and a maximum of 25 yards. If there is no language similar to that in the program, you are on the 25.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

In regard to your second question, when the program says 25 yards " Can the classifier award less than the 25 yd line?"

No, not for an adult male. Provisions may be made for categories, but I think you are asking if the classifier can make exceptions to the general provisions of the program and to that the answer is most definitely "NO."

Neil

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The most common classification mistake I see is the person classifying overlooking that the shooter should be placed in a penalty class. Classification errors such as this can, and should be changed by the management before, during or after the event.

Often programs could be more clearly written. But, this can require more space. I have several times rewritten a program with the intent of reducing the program by one page. This saved some printing costs and a lot of postage cost. Pages in a program can only be added in groups of 4 pages.

Pat Ireland

8. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Maybe this ATA confusion is why the Marines closed San Diego Shotgun Sports Down.It was giving them a head ache. Jon

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

12Gagejon- From the discussions we have, it could appear to a non shooter that there is some confusion at AT shoots. This is not the case. We do at times discuss both minor and hypothetical problems at length but these most commonly are problems that are actually seen by very few shooters.

Pat Ireland

10. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Until I shot my first 1000 targets I was put in Penalty B for singles I forget how many targets I had to shoot for handicap but that was kind of confusing as for the bigger shoots I was on the Penalty 23 yard line and at the smaller shoots they would put me on the 21. I was also placed in Penalty B for doubles. As soon as I had the required amout of targets for singles and doubles they used my average and soft card for my class and the 21 yard line for handicap. It was really not confusing at all for me except for the handicap. Too bad I wasn't good enough to take advantage of the 21 when I got to shoot there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.