1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Classification question for Jr/Sub Jr.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StonewallRacing, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I am trying to figure out what sub-classification my son will shoot at next year for ATA/AIM events.

I thought it had to do with his age when the target season started or ended. BUt that really confuses me.

When I read under section J, No. 7. I believe he would shoot under his age on September 1st for the following target year.

He is currently 14. His birthdate is October 4th. He will be 14 on September 1st, is he eligible to be a Sub Jr in 2010?

Any clarification is appreciated.

SW

2. Damifino

Damifino Member

I believe you are correct (he get's a heck of a break with an Oct birthday). Your son can however, declare as a Junior after his birthday and shoot for the remainder of the target year as a Jr. He may not go back to Sub-Jr once he has declared.

3. BNicely

BNicely TS Member

If the shooter is 14 on Sept. 1st of the current year they would be a sub jr for the entire ATA season next year. If they were 15 they would be a junior and if they were 18 on Sept 1st they are too old for the junior class.

You want to make sure he continues to shoot as a sub next year after he turns 15. If he gets placed into the junior class at a shoot during classification, even by mistake, he wil be forced to shoot as a junior the rest of the ATA year.

If you are unsure of the correct age category of a young shooter the best double check is their current ATA average card (the paper one). It will have 'JUNIOR' or 'SUBJR' typed on it by their name and that is the correct age category for the entire target year. Good luck shooting.

Brian

4. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Top Single,

To answer your question about smaller shoots with no SJ class, by definition the shooter is still a sub junior, but eligible for the JR awards. That would no be considered declaring as a junior.

Tom

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

TOP SINGLE DT10

"The only question I have is that most of the smaller shoots here in the area that I live in do not have separate classifications for Jr. / SubJr. What does he do then, since he can't "declare" himself as a SubJr.?"

According to the rules if you read on in that section 7, a. says.

a. When there is no Sub-Junior trophy Sub-Juniors will be included in
    the Junior category. Senior veterans will be included in the Veteran
    category when there is no Senior Veteran trophy.

It would seem that it might be automatic as it says Sub-Juniors will be included in the Junior category.

Bob Lawless

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

We are pretty new (started last April) to this trapshooting deal and I was feeling bad that we have not started shooting handicap and doubles until just recently.

Adding the new disciplines and moving-up to shoot with 18 year-old's who have been shooting for six years would be tough to compete for awards.

I learned about all this at the WI State Shoot last weekend and I want to do everything by the rules. However, I feel it is in our best interest to take advantage of the rules as they are written.

Thanks, SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.