1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Classification Problem/Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

At the Dixie Grand, shooters with less than 1000 handicap targets (last 2 years) were penalized to a minimum of 23 yards. But special category shooters (Vet, Sr Vet, Lady, Jr, Sub Jr) were only penalized to the 20 yard line.

The new rule makes declaration of a special category optional. A Vet shooter with only 700 handicap targets is classified. The computer shows he is a Vet and should shoot from the 20 yard line; however, he elects to wave his Vet category (smart thing to do at that shoot). What yardage should he shoot from?

Pat Ireland

PS- This actually happened a few times at the Dixie. I obtained inconsistent answers for members of the EC.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

23. If he doesn't declare vet, he's not a vet.

Neil

3. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

My guess -- if he's waiving "special category," wouldn't he then shoot from his regular yardage?

**update**

Guess I should pay more attention to the entire question!

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pat, as Neil stated there should be no doubt, 23. However and only if he would or they should represent themselves via shooting in their respective category would they be able to shoot on the 20.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Veteran status is based on age. By not declaring as a Vet, does that make the shooter younger? Could a Vet not declare as a Vet all year long and make the Vet All American team or would he be restricted to just the Mens All American team. We have one shooter who would probably be able to do this. A few years ago a Lady had enough points to make the All American Team. Our response was to change the name of the team to the Mens All American Team and put her in the Ladies All American Team.

Pat Ireland

PS- I classified these shooters on the 23 yard line, but I am not totally convinced I did the right thing.

6. ed_schultz

ed_schultz TS Member

ok first off im new to this so called ATA thingy but ill give you my opinion on this matter.

first off WHY are there special categories in the first place????
    why cant everyone just buck up and compete against one another???
    WHY ?? WHY ??? what is being taught by haveing these special categories???
    all it is doing is draing the money, thats what its doing. more trophies more trophies. why is a lil child more special than sumone between the age of 21-54??? if they wanna compete , let them compete against everyone and no falling back to their special lil category

next thing that gonna happen is all these special intrest groups in ATA will want disscounts on target prices, thats right disscounts.
    best thing the ATA could do is do away with all special category trophies and just give 2 trophies per event, champ and runner up.

if you cant win one of these then you need to practice more or take a lesson from one of the proffesional amatures amoungest or ranks who put clinics on to subsides the small payouts that we have now days or get a personal coach, i hear their is one in tennessee .

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Am I correct in assuming that before we got this new rule about Category Shooters must shoot off for their Category trophies if their score qualifies, they would declare Special Category without even thinking about it?? This year the Canadian Championship will be held in Vancouver and shooters can earn ATA All American points so the new Category rules should apply. Did I mention that it is a PITA Shoot with ATA cross registration. PITA has normal common sense rules for Category shooters. How should the program for the Canadian Championship Shoot be worded ??

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What Neil said.

9. Neil Winston

Oh come on, Pat! Not declaring vet does not make him younger, it just makes him a non-member of the vet category at that shoot. We now make lady shooters choose, say lady or junior. Have we made one who choses junior a man? Don't be silly; she is just not a member of the lady category. The vet can't be an All-American because he (or she) can't get any vet AA points and could be on the men's team if he or she gets enough men's points.

Neil

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

At the Dixie Grand, shooters with less than 1000 handicap targets (last 2 years) were penalized to a minimum of 23 yards. But special category shooters (Vet, Sr Vet, Lady, Jr, Sub Jr) were only penalized to the 20 yard line.

The new rule makes declaration of a special category optional. A Vet shooter with only 700 handicap targets is classified. The computer shows he is a Vet and should shoot from the 20 yard line; however, he elects to wave his Vet category (smart thing to do at that shoot). What yardage should he shoot from?

Pat Ireland

PS- This actually happened a few times at the Dixie. I obtained inconsistent answers for members of the EC.

11. Neil Winston

23. If he doesn't declare vet, he's not a vet.

Neil

12. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

My guess -- if he's waiving "special category," wouldn't he then shoot from his regular yardage?

**update**

Guess I should pay more attention to the entire question!

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pat, as Neil stated there should be no doubt, 23. However and only if he would or they should represent themselves via shooting in their respective category would they be able to shoot on the 20.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Veteran status is based on age. By not declaring as a Vet, does that make the shooter younger? Could a Vet not declare as a Vet all year long and make the Vet All American team or would he be restricted to just the Mens All American team. We have one shooter who would probably be able to do this. A few years ago a Lady had enough points to make the All American Team. Our response was to change the name of the team to the Mens All American Team and put her in the Ladies All American Team.

Pat Ireland

PS- I classified these shooters on the 23 yard line, but I am not totally convinced I did the right thing.

15. ed_schultz

ed_schultz TS Member

ok first off im new to this so called ATA thingy but ill give you my opinion on this matter.

first off WHY are there special categories in the first place????
    why cant everyone just buck up and compete against one another???
    WHY ?? WHY ??? what is being taught by haveing these special categories???
    all it is doing is draing the money, thats what its doing. more trophies more trophies. why is a lil child more special than sumone between the age of 21-54??? if they wanna compete , let them compete against everyone and no falling back to their special lil category

next thing that gonna happen is all these special intrest groups in ATA will want disscounts on target prices, thats right disscounts.
    best thing the ATA could do is do away with all special category trophies and just give 2 trophies per event, champ and runner up.

if you cant win one of these then you need to practice more or take a lesson from one of the proffesional amatures amoungest or ranks who put clinics on to subsides the small payouts that we have now days or get a personal coach, i hear their is one in tennessee .

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Am I correct in assuming that before we got this new rule about Category Shooters must shoot off for their Category trophies if their score qualifies, they would declare Special Category without even thinking about it?? This year the Canadian Championship will be held in Vancouver and shooters can earn ATA All American points so the new Category rules should apply. Did I mention that it is a PITA Shoot with ATA cross registration. PITA has normal common sense rules for Category shooters. How should the program for the Canadian Championship Shoot be worded ??

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What Neil said.

18. Neil Winston

Oh come on, Pat! Not declaring vet does not make him younger, it just makes him a non-member of the vet category at that shoot. We now make lady shooters choose, say lady or junior. Have we made one who choses junior a man? Don't be silly; she is just not a member of the lady category. The vet can't be an All-American because he (or she) can't get any vet AA points and could be on the men's team if he or she gets enough men's points.

Neil

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- It is quite possible one shooter could earn enough points to make the Vet team and then quit declaring as a Vet and then earn enough additional points to make the Mens team.

miketmx - The program should be worded with great care. I do not know the PITA rules and am not able to help you in any way.

Pat Ireland

PS- Neal, as you can probably guess, I am opposed to the rule designed to assist management at the expense of the shooters.

20. Neil Winston

But Pat, you wrote " a Vet not declare as a Vet all year long and make the Vet All American team" which is different from getting his vet points and then earning men's points. But he can't be on both, only the one where he has the better standing (not necessarily the most points.) It's in the book.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.