1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Classification Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by todddietrich, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Hello All,
    I was hoping for some information. My 15 yr old ended last season with an ATA average of 89.1. His ATA #10 10373. From my understanding this should be a class D. September he shot a registered 92/100 and last week he shot a 95/100 but they had him bumped to a class C already. I'm glad he is getting better, but what kind of notice do they give you when you get a class bump? Our head coach registered all of our kids, so we had no idea he was bumped.

I also want to brag, we started 11 new kids shooting trap last week. I saw a 12 yr old girl shoot a 21 her first round ever. It was cool!

regards,

Todd

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You get no advance notice. Your card avg. Will tell you generally, and the classifier will tell you specifically.

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

In a standard five class singles event, an 89.09 average would be C class. Even in a four class event it would be C.

Your son also had an average of 91.60 on his last 500 targets in 2012, which would be B class in a standard five class singles event.

Singles classification is a somewhat fluid thing. It depends on how many classes there are in an event and it depends on how a shooters scores are trending. It's not as cut and dried as some people think it should be, or would like it to be.

He's showing improvement. You should expect that his class will be "bumped."

4. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I assumed they were based on six classes and not five, and his average from last year. He has 200 targets for this year and I thought they waited until 500 targets in the year. He is on pace to be a B class shooter this year as long as we can keep girls as a secondary sport.

Thanks for the info!

Todd

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Not sure why you'd assume a six class event. Those are only used at large shoots (the Grand American, Satellite Grands, ATA Zone Shoots, etc.) Most State Shoots don't even use six classes.

I only looked at his last 500 from last year to get an idea as to how he was trending.

A classifier will (should) use as much information as possible to arrive at a shooter's classification.

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

In ATA, a new average is started as of Sep 1st. So, after the September shoot your son had a 92 average.

Did your son win D class at the September shoot?

I would guess that at the last shoot the classifier looked at last years average and the 92 then classified him in C class because the 92 is this years average. In 5 or less classes a 92 average is B class.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.