Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classes for a new shooter

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  HoosierHawk95 
#1 ·
I am a new trap shooter. I began in July and have shot in one league and one registered shoot. I would like to take a class from an experienced shooter/instructor. There is a class scheduled for this spring in Michigan with Kay Ohye who I have heard is good, but that is from one person. Would the three hundred dollars be a good investment or should I continue to shop around? Any tips about good instruction will be welcomed and appreciated.

#2 ·
At this stage you are pobably better served with a local instuctor that can work with you weekly and who would be available as you encounter problems or develop questions. The guys that work with SCTP kids are usually pretty solid in the fundamentals such as stance, gun mount and hold points.

Once you can establish a good foundation in your fundamentals and you start to grasp the geometry and the targets slow down for you, then a day or two with a big dog instructor will give you far greater value because you will better understand the what and why of their comments and suggestions. Below are a couple of post I put up about a class with Leo Harrison. Had I taken it in my first 90 days I wouldn't have known what he was talking about half the time.

Good luck and take all advice from other shooters with a grain of salt because YMMV.

"I took Leo's class last February. Below is a post that I wrote at that time. I was pretty comfortable with my shooting progress but I was hoping two take away at least a couple of definitive suggestions. I did and I continue to use them. Since February I picked up 4 yards in handicap to reach the 27, shot my first 100 straight and raised my singles average to a very solid A.

From February 22, 2007

"I know that a lot of people are curious, as was I, if taking a shooting clinic from one of the well-known, All-American shooters would prove to be beneficial and worth the investment of time and money. After some discussion and research, three of us decided to take a private, one day, Leo Harrison clinic.

All three of us are guys who shot and hunted when we were kids, put those things on hold while we've made our way in life and have now returned to trapshooting as a "new" avocation in the last two years. All three of us have enjoyed very good success in ATA events and have steadily increased our averages and yardage. As such, part of our concern was having someone try to make big changes in our individual styles with which we have achieved that progress.

However, we felt that an independent, knowledgeable evaluation would be of benefit and we hoped that we would perhaps gain some additional insight that would help us to progress faster. So, we paid our money and took our chance. It could not have turned out better.

First, Leo and his wife, Karla, are delightful people. Leo is a true gentleman and, despite his imposing physical presence and legendary success, immediately makes you feel comfortable and confident. This rapport encourages you to ask questions. He offered his opinions and philosophy of shooting in a non-authoritarian manner.

We started about 10 a.m. and the finished a bit after 3 p.m. With just the three of us, we were able to go through singles, handicap and doubles without feeling rushed and Leo was willing to spend as much time with each of us as necessary. His comments were always framed in a manner that allowed us to consider our ability or inclination to accept them.

On the ride home, we all agreed that both our time and money represented a wise investment in our future success in the sport. We each picked up suggestions that we have implemented and which are already paying dividends. We also agreed that compared to the cost of practice rounds and competitions that the clinic fee was a bargain. If you have the opportunity to attend one of Leo's clinics, I strongly recommend that you do so. You will have a great day and will be a better shooter for it. "

#3 ·
I think that you should go ahead and take a clinic from a great instructor, not a local yokel. It is better to learn right the first time than to unlearn something less than perfect.

That is however, just mho and your mileage may vary. Good luck.

John

#4 ·
HoosierHawk:

If you are talking about going to the class in Niles, I recommend it. Since I was a newbie and had the same question, I will give you as much information as I can. I started shooting trap and registered in August of 2005. Yes, I was a member for 1 month. I was a consistent "D" class shooter not shooting doubles and mainly staying with singles and HNDCP. I think I only registered 300 singles, 100 HNDCP, and 100 doubles. I began the 2006 season basically on the same road. Low 80's singles, Low 80's HNDCP and no doubles at all. I took a class from Kay Ohye in Niles in April 2006. This was my first trap coach. In 2006, after my class with Ohye, my averages started going up and I ended up winning "C" singles class champion for singles at the Indiana State Shoot and I went to the Grand in Sparta and ran my first 100 straight and took 2nd place in the Deborah Ann Ohye Singles for "C" class. I ended with a 91.58 avg in singles, 87.?? in HNDCP and 0.00 in doubles.

Don't get me wrong. You have to take notes and practice what he preaches. In addition, if you have a thin skin don't go see him either. I really didn't care. I wanted someone that has been an exceptional shooter for a significant portion of his life. He is rough around the edges but I chose him based on his winning percentages and his students. I was not unhappy with the results considering if I average the final 20 registered of the 2006 season, I had a 95.6 singles avg. and a 91.7 HNDCP avg. I took another class with Kay Ohye in Niles in April 2007. I had some gunstock issues in the middle of the season which Dennis DeVault is rectifying currently, but my averages continue to go up.

To sum it all up. Get some coaching. Listen to what he/she says and go out and practice it. Keep at it and enjoy shooting. Don't let anyone at your home club (especially the old timers) give you crap about taking lessons and how you are wasting money, etc. It's great the first time you smoke em in a registered event.

Good Luck
Cory

#5 ·
John,

I can't agree with you. Most new shooters don't have access to the name instructors. They need competent instruction as early as possible. It is also unfair to call people local yokels. You do not have to be a great performer to be a great coach. Look at the scores these SCTP kids are shooting. It is because they are getting solid grounding in the fundamentals from their local coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.