1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Class Conundrum

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Being a formerly solid Class A shooter, whose lack of practice and competition in recent times has affected my shooting to the point where I'm now a Class B shooter working to get back to Class A, I found this minor conundrum interesting.

A shooter with an average from 94% to just under 94.75% will be classified Class B, except when there are 5 classes.

For example, someone with a 94.5% average will be classified Class B in an event with three classes (A, B, C), four classes (A, B, C, D), and six classes(AAA, AA, A, B, C, D), but if the event has five classes (AA, A, B, C, D), that person will be classified in Class A.

I found this interesting. Doesn't really bother me. I guess I just found it to be inconsistent.

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well I can't say it isn't strange but I will ask just how would you fix it??

Bob Lawless

SIX CLASSES

98% and over AAA

96.25% and under 98% AA

94.75% and under 96.25% A

93% and under 94.75% B

90% and under 93% C

under 90% D

FIVE CLASSES

97% and over AA

94% and under 97% A

91% and under 94% B

88% and under 91% C

Under 88% D

FOUR CLASSES

95% and over A

92% and under 95% B

89% and under 92% C

Under 89% D

THREE CLASSES

95% and over A

91% and under 95% B

Under 91% C

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

tim99... we're all shooting for that 200 straight anyway... aren't we?

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

At a state shoot with this number;94.68%, expect to be placed in class A even though it says; 93% and under 94.75% B

Hap

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Hap; your past has factored in.

Don

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about known ability.

I'm talking about the numbers/categories breakdown.

Just seems odd and the "brackets"...if you will...don't make sense to me.

It would make more sense if that average were Class A for 5 classes and 6 classes. But you're A if there are 5 classes and back to B if there are 6? Huh?

Like I said, and like BigM said, I'm shooting to break them all, and I'm really only shooting against myself, no matter what class you put me in.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

BIGDON, you are correct my friend. Known ability plays an important part in our game regardless of what the current numbers say. AA time before when I was down in health for a spell recording about those same numbers.

timb99, I think 99.99% of the shooters do that same thing, trying to break them all every time! You almost have to use known ability when classifying at the important shoots. In my case, I may break a 100 today, tomorrow I may break an 89, week later a 99. It depends on how I feel, pain wise, and even I couldn't classify myself till I've shot a few targets. Most of guys doing the classifying do a good job, and a thankless one at that!! Pat Ireland does a fantastic job at classifying shooters properly too!! He should give clinics on his methods!

Hap

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Well, its all moot now. I shot well enough this weekend to get my average back up above 95, so I'm Class A again.

Which was my goal for this year anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.