1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clark County Shooting Park ('Vegas NV)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Shot three rounds of trap there today, Thursday, 1-13-11. All I can say is new, beautiful, awesome, etc. Big, big, big facility. Friendly staff. Lots of RV parking sites with full hookups. Campground host program. Today, a Thursday, meant $4.00 a round. I'm from California, but do hope this park gets lots of support. Only snivel: Only one restroom with running water that I knew of. Most of the trapline features porta-potties. No, one more snivel: I hope they plant more trees for the future...

Overall: Amazing and an awesome setting facing north at the north end of town, the very north end facing the Sheep Mountains. And to think...this area was undeveloped in the 70's and on some years, part of the Mint 400 race course. "Who'd a thunk it?"

And there are some also some excellent shows in town at this time...saw the Sinatra re-do thing after shooting today.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Could you post some Pix of the place??? Break-em all. Jeff

3. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

How about these pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I was hoping to get to this new facility while in Vegas next week.
    Are they open certain hours , Any suggestions.
    Tried to find info on-line.

Joe Woods/Ontario

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Open for public shooting: Wednesday through Sunday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m at the Rifle-Pistol, Shotgun, and Archery Centers.

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/depts/parks/Pages/clark-county-shooting-park.aspx

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Baron 23's pictures capture the feeling and scale of the area perfectly!

The park will add a lot more in the future; an Olympic Trap style range/bunker and will about double the number of trap/skeet fields as I understand it.

Also, can somebody tell me please? This shooting park uses bio degradable targets. They smoke ok, but give off white smoke vs. black. What are the bio-degradable tagets made from? I'm OCD enough to want to know.

Regards,

David

(I have pictures, on my camera's card, but left the stuff for uploading to computer at home. Sorry 'bout that, as time permits when get home after this road trip, I'll take a try at uploading them.)

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

chango2, It looks like the mountain range runs along the entire lengh of the background! Is it a nice sky background or are the mountains in the background during its clays flight. I'd like to know. Break-em all. Jeff

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Can visitors rent shotguns at the trap range ?

9. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Is there a purpose in throwing bio targets in the desert? I thought they needed rainwater to break down. How long will this process take in a place where they get 3 inches of rainfall a year??

10. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes----trap and skeet guns are for rent. I was there in late summer and they had all SKB's for rent.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I believe that it is good to have bio-degradable targets in the desert since the water supply is quite valuable. Yes, there is little rain, but when it comes, it can often be torrents. It can be deadly, for example, to make camp in low ground in the desert...flash floods. I would guess that the "bio" part of degradable also means that bacteria will help destroy the targets?

Remember too: Las Vegas means the "Meadows"; before it became an adult playground of sorts, 'vegas was a watering spot for Native Americans, cowboys, travelers, Mormons, etc. that were migrating. After the train was invented, a fueling/water station for trains. There is groundwater in Vegas, but, unfortunately, IMHO, too much of Lake Mead Water is used to allow the city's growth.

So...the bio kind likely will break up easier and cost less in the long run (less labor cost to clean up )and save the water table somewhat. (from contamination)...my guess, and also makes for better pr I'd guess again.

But the only thing I think should really be remembered: "Camp on High Ground in the Desert"

12. Baron23

"I would guess that the "bio" part of degradable also means that bacteria will help destroy the targets?"

Well...not in my view. Bio's are a scam in the manner that Prius cars make gullible people "feel good" about their carbon footprint. Upon close examination, both are more PR than fact.

Pitch targets are essentially inert. They don't contaminate a thing. Yes, you have to clean up the debris from time to time, but the good news is that is is right there where you left it.

Bio's take a LONG time to degrade and kill the vegetation when they do. If anything is going to have an impact on the water supply, its degraded bios....while the pitch target debris will still be sitting there waiting.

Sorry for the bit of topic hijacking.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Not at all a problem re. hijacking. I like learning stuff. One thing about the pitch targets, they sure can melt in hot weather and maybe are harder to clean up. I believe Vegas is hot enouigh to melt pitch targets most of the year. Saves labor?

14. Baron23

Well, I've never been shooting in Vegas in the summer, but I have shot in 107+ weather but I've never seen a pitch target melt or even soften in any way???

15. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

They are molded in high heat, I can't imagine them melting in the desert or anywhere else on earth.

16. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

If the desert sun melted pitch targets,(which I think is impossible) they would be simple to clean up.

Very early in the mornings, there would be solid sheets of melted targets in the main target fall zone. Break them into managable size pieces, pick up and dispose. Haha.

In my simple-minded opinopn, Bio targets are an answer to a problem that did not exist in the first place.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Took a walk out in front of the traps of The Gun Club in Reno. As I got to thick of the target fall area the shards were about knee deep. Edges of the shards still looked sharp and no real signs of deterioration. I don't see that they impacted the environment at all. A clean up would be handled with an end loader and a dump truck.

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I've seen melted targets during the heat of summer here in Los Angeles...but they were on cement near the traphouse. Maybe just an unusual circumstance, but I still "betcha" they would melt in the desert during a very hot day and solidify overnight..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.