1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CLARK COUNTY SHOOTING PARK DEDICATION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trim tab, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

The new Clark COunty Shooting Park was dedicated today. It is a first class facility and is expected to be open in December. The following is the press release.

For Immediate Release Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2009

Clark County Dedicates New Shooting Park
    Facility to Create a Safe, Affordable Place to Shoot

Clark County commissioners and Congressional representatives dedicated the Clark County Shooting Park today, ushering in Southern Nevada’s first public shooting area designed to increase public safety.

“The opening of this world-class shooting facility marks the beginning of a new era in Southern Nevada for shooting sportsmen, law enforcement and hobby shooters to practice, train, qualify and compete,” said Commissioner Tom Collins, in whose district the park is located. “The Clark County Shooting Park will soon be known worldwide as the place to visit right here in Clark County.”

The park is located at 11357 N. Decatur Blvd., about five miles north of the 215 Beltway. The land for the shooting park was transferred to the county from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management in November 2002. Since that time, more than 265,000 new firearms have been registered in Clark County, according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. The growth in firearms underscores the need for residents to have a safe, affordable place to shoot.

“This project comes at the request of a lot of citizens who wanted a safer place for shooters,” Commission Chairman Rory Reid said. “This public facility will do a lot to end indiscriminate desert shooting and give tourists a new reason to come to this valley and bolster the local economy.”

The first phase of the 148-acre public shooting facility is expected to open to the general public in the next few months. The $61 million facility, paid for by money made available by the Southern Nevada Public Lands Management Act, sits on 2,900 acres of land. When fully built out, the park is expected to draw competitive shooters from around the world and provide training facilities to law enforcement officials.

Senators Harry Reid and John Ensign, along with Congresswoman Shelley Berkley and Governor Jim Gibbons, then a Congressional representative, sponsored the act that provided the land.

“I appreciate the work of all those from Clark County, of sportsmen and sportswomen from across our state, of local law enforcement officials, and of everyone else who has shared this goal,” Senator Reid said. “Nevadans aimed high when we set out to create the largest and most advanced shooting range in the world. But we kept a steady eye on our target. And today, with great pride, Nevada has hit the bulls-eye.”

"The Clark County Shooting Park will allow Nevadans a safe environment to enjoy their Second Amendment rights and to further enhance gun safety,” Ensign said.

“I am a firm believer in the Constitution of the United States and the Second Amendment,” Gibbons said. “I am proud to have assisted with the BLM land acquisition and funding for this park while I was serving Nevada in the U.S. Congress. I am equally proud to be Governor as the park is dedicated today. This new park provides Nevadans with a lawful place to practice their firearm safety and skills.”

The facility features the following venues:

§ 24 combination trap and skeet fields with a pro shop and cafeteria;

§ An archery range and building with a 30-seat classroom and restrooms;

§ A public rifle and pistol range with a pro shop and convenience store;

§ A hunter education center with a 90-seat classroom with archery, rifle, pistol and shotgun ranges and a simulated hunting course; and

§ A shotgun center with 80 spaces for recreational vehicles that will house safety officers on-site.

“As a long time supporter in Congress, I have watched this project transform from blueprint to reality and it’s another great example of how the Southern Nevada Public Lands Act continues to enhance the Valley’s recreational opportunities,” Berkley said. “Providing enthusiasts with a modern facility where they can safely enjoy this recreational activity will also help to eliminate target practice in desert areas around the Las Vegas Valley. This facility will bring together generations who enjoy recreational shooting in a location designed specifically for this activity, and I know it will be a success from day one.”

State Sen. John Lee, who serves as the chairman of the shooting park advisory committee, said he has been proud to see the park take shape while overseeing its development these past six years.

"I am pleased to be associated with the design, construction and operation of this world-class shooting facility,” Lee said. “This is the place to bring your friends and family for a safe, affordable and fun shooting experience."

The county hired Don Turner, then manager of Arizona’s successful Ben Avery Shooting Facility, in 2003 to start the planning process for the park. Turner is now the county’s Shooting Park manager. More information about the park is available on its Web pages at www.accessclarkcounty.com/parks.

###

Clark County is a dynamic and innovative organization dedicated to providing top-quality service with integrity, respect and accountability. With jurisdiction over the world-famous Las Vegas Strip and covering an area the size of New Jersey, Clark is the nation’s 15th-largest county and provides extensive regional services to more than 2 million citizens and 44 million visitors a year. Included are the nation’s 7th-busiest airport, air quality compliance, social services and the state’s largest public hospital, University Medical Center. The county also provides municipal services that are traditionally provided by cities to almost 900,000 residents in the unincorporated area. Those include fire protection, roads and other public works, parks and recreation, and planning and development. In 2009, Clark County celebrates a “century of service.”

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

As a Vegas resident and a shooter, I am happy to see the park nearing completion and I hope that it is a success and plan to shoot there often. However, I wish the City, who has a councilman on the Shooting Park Advisory Committee, would have handled the closure of the LV Gun Club a bit more respectfully and intelligently. Class counts in life.

Whether the new park can remain open in a bad economy remains to be seen. We won't have any idea until late January or February, since the new place won't open til December at the earliest. LVGC will be gone by then and it won't be coming back. Having the existing shotgun facility that the LVGC represents stay in business for a year or so would allow a Plan B to occur if and when the county determines that the gate revenues are insufficient to keep the place open. The city can use whatever revenue the LVGC sends them - times are hard here like everywhere and the city has no funds to develop the LVGC property anyway, so the sense of being in a hurry strikes me as odd.

On a more human level, Steve Carmichael is a good guy and deserves better. Essentially, right or no, new world class facility or no, the county is taking the market away from Steve and also from the Desert Sportsman rifle/pistol guys and is not recogizing the impact of a gov't entity "competing" with private entities is going to have. When the county takes your land for a highway, they have to pay you. Apparently, not so for these folks who have been in business here a long, long time.

Just my thoughts

Russ Roberts
    LV, NV

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I was reading the above press release and I cut and pasted this out of it -

"Since that time, more than 265,000 new firearms have been registered in Clark County, according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department."

You have to register guns in Clark County??

5. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

For Handguns, the sheriff has cooked up a little thing called a blue card. If you buy a new Hand gun in Clark Co, you get the card with the gun. If you buy one from a non dealer, you have to go down to Metro and get the blue card transferred into your name. You won't be able to get a CCW with a non blue card weapon and not having the card is a crime. Purpose? You can probably guess.

No such requirement, yet, on rifles or shotguns

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

We don't even have that in Illinois

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

One item Smoking Gun did omit is that when you register your handgun, they do a background check on you. They do come up with quite a few people who have outstanding warrants, x-felons etc against them. There is no cost to the registration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.