1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Civility,courtesy, and common sense are dead!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Big Dog Dad, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

Trapshooting is my main love when it comes to shooting sports. I do shoot pistols and long range rifle. I am amazed at some of the folks on other forums when I post a question. Why is it that they feel it necessary to post criticisms on punctuation, or the usual - I know the answer and you don't so you must be stupid type of comment, or this is what I had for supper last night. If I read a thread and don't have an answer to the OP question, I move on to the next thread. Does this give them some sort of empowerment or a boost to their manhood? And people wonder why there is so much violence in this world. With the current state of affairs in this declining country, maybe a little more civility and consideration for other folks might boost folks spirits. Just a thought!

-=BDD=-

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The answer to your question is yes. The keyboard commandos who have no self worth need someplace to flex their muscles. You do well to ignore them & move on.

Eric

3. Big Dog Dad

Thanks Eric. I try to ignore them, but when I post a question and have to wade through a dozen posts with the above type of comments before I get to the answer, if I ever do get an answer, it gets a little frustrating. I'm just amazed at the amount of time and effort these trolling fools spend in all those forums. This forum has some very knowledgeable folks who have been quick and civil in answering my questions. It is refreshing!

Mike

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

BDD, So many feel secure hidden behind a screen name, it empowers them to be rude and down right jerks. Kindness and civility seem to be things form generations before computers and the internet. When one had to stand up for what he said.

5. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

I agree with you and the real problem is on the street ! Also one has to look no farther than here when it comes to politics Honor and integerty seem to be missing ! So how is the problem fixed is what Id like to know !

6. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

7. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I must agree with the general gist of your posting ; with one "However"........

Along with the loss of civility, courtesy & common sense, many have LONG AGO forgotten how to READ ; how to SPELL : how to create COMPLETE THOUGHTS, SENTENCES, PARAGRAPHS, LETTERS, etc.

This society has plummeted faster than a snowball rolling downhill toward HELL. And a part of this decline is due to lack of education within the populace.

This inability to communicate properly or formally is further exemplified when one tries to argue, disagree or "rant" - as often happens here at TS.com

But - as a society it has become much easier to say "accept me for who I am", than it is to strive to improve or excel.

No one is always correct. No one is ever "perfect" in their thought processes or their ability to convey to others. But many fail to even try. That is what I cannot fathom.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

All part of the coarsening of America. I remember it beginning with the "come as you are" marketing movement. When I was a boy my mom wouldn't go downtown unless she was fully dressed, hair done up, lipstick and all. Then came the come as you are movement, the relaxation of standards, that have relaxed until we have nothing left but gang warfare among people who can barely speak, let alone write a coherent thought.

I am impressed that some of the sharpest, smartest people I know I know through these threads.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

wireguy,,,,Texas women here won't even go to the grocery without their "face on",,,,,,so nice to see women done up and I try to do the same,,,,,,the business casual thing and conversing on the computer instead face to face or on the telephone,,,,,,where we could see or hear someone's true spirit,,,,,now we try to use emoticons,,,,,,it seems to me that with he cold touch in today's society, we have lost a little humanity......

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Leave it to Texas to retain some of those old graces.

11. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I miss those stories of my Catholic school friends of how the Nuns beat "Civility, Courtesy, and Common Sense" into them .... and their parents loved it!!!!!

My parents just threatened with "The Belt" .... and it worked!!!!!

I never had an issue while in the US Army. I knew how to act properly around others.

Bob

12. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

I am presently reading a book (a tome, really) entitled "George Washington's Sacred Fire". Washington held the firm belief that when a people had firm, moral underpinnings (the Bible) coupled with education freedom would succeed and prevail. Without one or both of those elements freedom would nor could not.

When you observe what has been driven apace since the mid 1960's (though some would say even before); the dramatic decline in morality and education, I'd say Washington was right.

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I don't think bigdogtx was talking about all the TX women, just those with class. There are plenty of classless women in TX just as in the other 49 states.

14. Big Dog Dad

Believe it or not, this forum has probably the most civil and courteous members of any of the gun boards I visit. There are always going to be a few that are a true example of the decline of our society, but overall I enjoy this forum very much.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.