1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori XT Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dewie_Mann, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewie_Mann

Dewie_Mann TS Member

Thinking of buying a new Browning Citori XT Trap gun, any comments good or bad are welcome.

Thanks
    Dewie

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Dewie,

I think it is hard to beat the price and all around value of the XT unsingle combo. I had an XT 32" over under only, with browning's factory adjustable comb. It was the most unpleasant gun I ever shot, it kicked hard and was point heavy.

However a good friend of mine bought the XT unsingle combo from Gunsunlimited of Omaha 34/32 configuration with the Monte Carlo stock. I tried it and I was amazed that it did not kick, did not feel point heavy and it was a real pleasure to shoot.

I don't know if browning improved these guns since I had bought mine which was at least 3 years older than his, or if was just the fit of the monte carlo stock compared to their adjustable comb model. Just something to think about and try for yourself on the XT's. The I have shot a XT 30" O/U with factory monte carlo stock and it seemed okay, which makes me believe that you do not want the stock with the factory adjustable comb.

All in all, knowing what I know about the differences in the stocks now, I would have to say the XT is pretty good trap gun. It has a 60/40 POI at best, but it looks good, is fairly durable and you can probably buy 2 maybe 3 used XTs for what a higher grade gun like Guerini, Kolar or Krieghoff would cost you.

Just my thoughts, good luck on your decision. John Ertel

3. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Another weak link seems to be the firing pin for the bottom barrel. Lots of chatter on here about that. Your mileage may vary..

4. ajc

ajc Member

I've shot an XT for the past 8 yrs. Dead nuts reliable. Std stock wood is prettier than any P- or K- gun. About 35K rounds through it and all I've done is replace the firing pin last week. (As mentioned earlier, this is simply a maintenance issue...the pin and it's bore can get mucked up with gunk.) I replaced the pin ($10) not because it was bad, but because it was easy to do while I did the clean up. I'd love to have a Guerini, but it's hard to fault the XT.

The only downside is that is a bit heavier than most trap guns, and factory repairs (thankfully it's really reliable) can take a lifetime.

ajc

5. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Probably the best bang for the buck out there. The lower firing pin is usually an easy parts replacement fix. The Factory comb adjustment hardware, primarily the screw, is a weak link. I'm going to attempt an upgrade on mine to stronger stuff. Mine broke, there was plenty of length in the screw for an on the spot repair, and it appeared to me at the time that there was plenty of steel in the system for a larger diameter screw. If I had the choice I would buy one without the factory adjustable comb and have one of our stellar TS.com craftsmen install one.

7. 007

007 Member

PM sent

8. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

I've had an XT for three years and have been very pleased with it. I've thought about trading up for a more expensive gun, but every time I reach the conclusion of why?

I've never had a problem with my XT. It is a little heavier than some other guns, but that is one thing I like about it.

As someone else mentioned, the wood on these guns is great. I've had a lot of people comment on it. One person literally thought I was lying - - or just plain wrong - - when I said it is standard wood.

I don't think you could go wrong by buying one.

9. Frye

Frye TS Member

That's all I shoot for everything.. Very good gun. I love mine. Factory MC stock, well over 10k rounds thru it now and it hasn't skipped a beat. Take reasonable care of it and it will last a lifetime.

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I may be in the market for one. The guys at Guns unlimited say browning fixed the problem with the adjustable comb. Anyone else hear that?

11. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I had several O/Us but never a Citori, until last year. I got a great deal on a used XT from a co-worker. IMO it’s the best O/U for the money. A bit on the heavy side for some, but that translates to low recoil. I shot singles and doubles with it. It won’t replace my 90T for singles but I will keep it around doubles.

Joe

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Well, I bought one so I guess I will soon find out about the comb.

13. Toddy

Toddy Member

I bought a Browning XT over a year ago and to this day it shoots low and to the left.....

I have patternd this thing and at 18ft it shoots 1/2 inch low and 1/4 inch to the left.....

I have the comb moved as far right as it will go and it still shoots left even with a bore sighter in it and 1\4 of an inch at 18ft is about 8" at 41 ft.

I wish I had adjusted this gun when I first bought it and it would have gone back instantly but instead gave myself 6 months to get it to fit me and that will never happen....

When I did start using this gun the front of the comb dug into my palm behind my right hand so I cut a section off of the comb thinking I could make it fit but ruined any chances of sending it back.

I also bought a single barrel off the internet and it also shoots low and to the left.

I have stopped using this gun as of the last event in the 2009 Hawaii State shoot Feb.16th.

With the single barrel and choke tubes, I have close to 4 grand invested....silly me....

Reg.Todd, East Sooke, BC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning citori xt

browning citori xt trap

browning citori xt trap reviews

browning xt trap

browning xt trap review

browning xt trap reviews
citori xt trap
citori xt trap review