1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori XT stock help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

The stock on my new Citori XT is coming loose from the receiver. I have taken off the recoil pad with the intention of tightening the connector. I can not figure out the right tool to do the job. I called Tron who thought is was a 5mm or 6mm hex. I tried both and neither seem to fit whatever is down in the stock. The 5mm was too loose and the 6mm did not fit. Are there any ideas out there of how to tighten the stock to the receiver? I could send it back to Browning but I do not want the down time.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. racer

racer TS Member

Once you figure out what it is buy one. You will need to learn how to take the stock off a couple times per year to clean. Don't shoot it loose and don't over tighten.... Dan

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It used to be 5mm, perhaps they have changed to an inch size?

4. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

My 425 uses a flatblade, try using a flashlight and look down the hole. Works for me. Joe

5. Cuky

Cuky Member

Try remove adjustable cheek piece [if you have one] that is the way I had to do it.

6. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Cuky
    Mine does have an adjustable comb. Can you see the fastener if you take out the adjustable hardware?

7. Skippyd

Skippyd Member

is this a new xt or just new to you?I have a new xt that the stock came loose on like yours I used the factory allen wrench I believe it was under the Styrofoam in the box it may seem to small but had to make many revolutions to get it tight.good luck
    Darrell

8. Cuky

Cuky Member

I also used factory hex wrench supplied with the gun when I got it. I can not see the size of the wrench but you can call Browning and ask them.

9. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Yes mine is brand new. I didn't know there was a wrench included. I will check under the styofoam to look.

10. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

It's not that hard to see what's down there. Hold the stock up to the sunlight, or an overhead room light. Either works, if you spend about 30 seconds lining it up.

My Citori (about 2 years old) requires a (large) flat blade screwdriver to loosen the stock bolt. I can see well enough down into the stock to know how to orient the blade of the screwdriver. It's not hard.

If your gun requires a screwdriver, you need to guide the screwdriver down the hole fairly carefully. If you miss, the blade goes past the bolt head, and when you twist it, it just applies torque between the bolt head and the wooden wall. If that happens, it's sometimes not easy to feel whether you have a stubborn stock bolt or you missed the bolt head unless you watch as you slide the screwdriver down the hole. Initially it seems impossible to get your eye, the light and the screwdriver all aligned, but I found that it took me about 60 seconds to learn the technique.

FWIW, I just did it a couple of days ago. I wanted to take the receiver off the stock in order to spray the receiver with brake parts cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air.

One other trick is worth mentioning in this context. I have put metal inserts into the screw holes used to secure the recoil pad to the stock. It makes it a LOT easier to get the screws in and out. If you don't want to bother with this, put a small drop of oil onto the wood screws that hold the pad onto the stock before re-attaching the pad. The screws will go in and out much easier if you do, although not as easy as if you use the metal inserts. And no, the oil on the screws will not cause the wood to turn to mush unless you drown the assembly in oil every time you take it apart.

Ted K.

11. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

Culky,
    If you have the factory adjustable, you have to remove it. On a Browning the posts are attached to the comb and stick down into the stock blocking access to the stock bolt. Take the comb off and you will see the allen type screw. You should have gotten a wrench with the gun. If your gun has the non adjustable monte carlo type stock, it takes a flat blade screw driver.
    God Luck,
    OtH

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The comb does not need to be fully removed, just lift it up to its highest point.

The wrench should be on the side of the styrofoam at the front of the box. Many have missed it there.

13. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I had the factory adjustable comb on my XT, and with it fully down, it did not interfere with access to the stock hex bolt. I used the hex wrench that was supplied with the gun. I don't know the size.

Note that you can split the stock if you use the stock to provide opposite direction torque. The stock bolt does not screw into the stock, it screws into the receiver, so you want to brace the receiver (with something that will not scratch or mar it) when you tighten the stock bolt.

I removed my stock several times to clean and lube my action, and never had a problem.

bluedsteel

14. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

i want to thank you who have answered this post. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! I removed the adjustable comb and the 5mm wrench supplied with the gun fit perfectly. My previous problem was that without removing the adj comb, the hex wrench wasn't reaching the hex nut. Whew, what a relief.

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I love it when a plan comes together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning 2007 citori xs tool to tighten stock to reicever

browning citori xt stock

citori stock screwdriver

size of flat head stock bolt screw browning citori 725

size of hex head for bolt in stock for browning citori xt

stock bolt for xt citori