1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori XT or other Browning trap O/U

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BPSR, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPSR

BPSR Member

I'm fairly new to this game, I am wondering do all the XTs have their barrels ported? Not trying to offend anyone with ported barrels, but I just never have cared for barrels with extra holes in them. I'm kind of looking for an O/U for trap shooting, and like the way the Citori feels, but don't want a ported gun.

2. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Look for a older one they didnt come ported and yes all the new ones have it on the brownings.

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

BPSR:

As SR1 suggested, a pre-XT Citori may be your best bet. However, before you buy, be aware Browning made four versions* of the Citori. From oldest to most recent they are the a pre-Type 1, followed by Types 1, 2, and 3.

The distinction is important. Parts aren't necessarily interchangable and the availability of parts for some of the earlier versions are out of production and a challenge to find. The type can be determined by year of manufacture which in turn can be determined with a serial number.

Even within types, there may be some physical differences. For example, Type 3 Citoris made before 1994 may have a long trigger tang. All Type 3 made after 1994 have a short tang. The practical difference is that stocks are specific to tang length and are not interchangable between long and short tang guns.

Good luck with your search.

sissy

* Type 3 guns include XT and Ultra XT models which have some cosmetic upgrades. Mechanically, they're still Type 3s.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

There are some very early model UltraXT with out port

5. all star

all star TS Member

porting is the only way to go in my mind it helps with recoil might be in my mind though it seemed to help me

6. BPSR

BPSR Member

Thanks for the info guys. I did know there were differences in the stock/tang, I just didn't know if XTs were ever sold unported. I've read enough on here to know that most people aren't too fond of the factory adjustable combs either. Recoil isn't a problem for me, so even if the porting helped the recoil, I still would prefer a non ported gun.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

BPSR,

If you get a chance to handle and shoot a 682 Beretta, you just might rethink the whole Browning thing. I've shot both guns a lot and prefer the way the Beretta swings. The other plus is that other barrels(top singles and unsingles) are readily available for the 682's. This isn't the case with Browning O/U's. Both are good guns, but I feel the Beretta is a better gun all the way around.

ec90t

8. BPSR

BPSR Member

ec90t
    I've never shot a Beretta, but have handled a new one or two. One thing that seems funny to me with the Berettas I had my hands on, they seem pretty free/loose even when new compared to the Brownings. Although I will say most Brownings seem pretty tight when new, almost too stiff. This may sound dumb, but how long would a Beretta last, action wise, if you were shooting 1k to 2k rounds a year?

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Trust me, you'll never shoot out a Beretta.

The reason why a Beretta feels "loose" when compared to a Browning, is that the Beretta has been fitted much better than a Browning when new. There has been several threads on this site over the years about Brownings galling because the forearm was fitted too tightly from the factory.

ec90t

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

BPSR I have a used Ultra XT I'm probably going to be selling with some extras if you think you might be interested drop me a line. As far as porting I've shot and owned both ported and non ported I can't say I noticed any appreciable difference in recoil ( just me ) I don't see any down side of it but I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for porting. Just my $.02 But I would definitely shoot as many as possible b-4 making up my mind. Most shooters will be only to happy to let you try there guns. Besides the hunt is always more fun than the kill. Enjoy Jim W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.