1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori XT and 725 Citori

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DHS, Jun 13, 2013.

1. DHS

DHS Member

I see that there is the Citori XT and a new 725 Citori Trap. Advantages of one over the other? Thinking of purchasing one; what is a good price new and source.

2. Wrench1

Wrench1 Member

I just looked at a 725 Trap with 32" barrels today. My local dealer just received it, and the Browning rep told them that there was a limited production run of 250-350, based on orders taken. This is what they were told. The gun has 3 flush mount DS chokes, mechanical triggers, and the vector pro forcing cones, and a rather heavy palm swell. This one was marked grade 1, but the wood ( gloss finish )was the best that I have seen on any Browning out of the box. I have a 725 in the sporting version, and I love the gun. The trap gun has an adjustable comb and it weighed about 8 3/4lb. My sporting 725 with the same length barrels weighs in at about a pound less. With the comb adjusted all the way down, I was looking flat down the rib and the beads stacked perfectly. The gun is also very well balanced.I shot an XT a few years ago, but I am not an expert on comparing the 2 guns. Hope this helps.
    Ron

3. Wrench1

Wrench1 Member

I failed to mention the price in my last post. I believe they had $3295 marked on the 725 trap gun.
    Ron

4. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

There are 725's listed on gunbroker for about $2800. Craig

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Buy what YOU like best.

I love my Browning Target guns. I went and looked at the 725 Trap and wasn't impressed at all. Out of the box and on the shelf two guns side by side would not open properly with the thumb lever release. A mechanical issue. Found that to be a turnoff if I were to be buying it.

The new choke system may or may not be all that and a bag of chips. The Invector Plus Choke system and many variations and options for whatever choke you may want. You can pick these tube up readily and many times for cheap right here on this site.

You can buy a brand new XT Trap with a Monte Carlo stock and have it cut and be well under the $2800 - $3000 for a 725 fixed stock. Better aftermarket stock work than factory. The 725 rib may be a hair higher than an XT but not all that much and it's not adjustable.

You have to try to shoot them both and get a good feel for it. Every one will have opinions. I'd like to own the new 725 but, I'm not all that impressed, I certainly don't feel it is worth the money difference than an XT.

Browning has a lot trap o/u variations out there now. Something is going to get dumped. If it's the Cynergy I'm gonna be looking for one. I shot some rounds with one and liked it. I picked up a new Citori Grand Prix Sporter a few years ago when they dumped that line for $1550. That Citori had all the bells and whistles. Flatter shooting gun but it's not a trap gun.

Take your time and get that's right for you. Target guns are not flying off the shelf. The choices will be there. Shop for your price also.

6. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Just received my first 725 Trap's for sale. One customer came in picked a 725 up fell in love and traded his 3 week old XT in on one. He came back two days latter grinning and very happy with his choice. The 725 has the new chokes - no big deal, mechanical trigger which feels very nice, taller rib (on the lines of the XT Combo), larger palm swell and different pitch. The gun points and feels great and in my opinion considerably superior to the XT, and I'm not knocking the XT. The 725 fells better balanced, lighter in the front and just pointed more naturally. If the firing system holds up the gun is a winner. Doug

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I have 'em. $2,799 plus shipping. Re-designed interior, nicer trigger, with a higher rib. Great guns!!

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I looked at the 725 Sporting @ the PA state. "Oil" finish was pretty rough, looked like an amateur tru-oil job with LOTS of open pores. The gloss finish on the 725 trap looked significantly better.

9. Wrench1

Wrench1 Member

Any ideas or comments on the new 725 trap with adjustable comb used on Skeet/Sporting???

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Not the greatest idea with a Monte Carlo stock!!

11. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

my shooting buddy who is just coming back to shooting just picked up a 725 and has a hard time closing the gun, i said it's new and to lube it well it will break in, i would like one myself, can anyone here tell me about what spanky was saying, is there a real problem here? i would really like to know if there is a problem so i can avoid buying a lemmon.

12. dirk

dirk Member

My friend just bought the 725 trap. It is extremely tight and needs some breaking in. He shot some doubles with the gun and loves it. He traded an XT for it and said that the 725 is better balanced. The gun has the sweetest triggers and they are mechanical on top of it, and the grip feels better as well. In my opinion it is worth the money.

13. DHS

DHS Member

I was thinking of a PFS on the 725. Does the Citori PFS fit the new 725?

14. dirk

dirk Member

According to Vern Brown the Citori grip will not fit the 725.

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm referring to the thumb lever that breaks the gun open. It shouldn't be a struggle to open, to disengage it shouldn't feel like a mechanical bind and certainly there shouldn't be the need of excessive force. Never had a new Browning open like that.

As the gun hinged open that felt normal like any other Browning I own. Stiff but smooth. They become less stiff after many rounds. Apply a good grease on hinge points, I prefer Super Lube.

My hopes are to catch a Cynergy dirt cheap if they close them out. I'll get the trigger worked if necessary.

Search tags for this page

browning 725 pro sporting forums

browning citori 725 top lever tight
browning crossover target vs 725 sporting

browning xt for sporting

citori 725 vs citori xt

citori xt

compare citori xt and 725
what is the diferrence between an xt trap and a 725