1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori vs. BT-99 Felt Recoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfesi, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfesi

jfesi Member

Just wondering if anyone could tell me if there is any real difference in felt recoil between a fixed choke Citori trap and an invector (not plus) choked BT-99?

Thanks,

Joe

2. jfesi

jfesi Member

Also, do ported chokes really make a difference in felt recoil?

Thanks again,

Joe

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Given that both guns fit the shooter equally well, the Citori should give less felt recoil if the shooter shoots the bottom barrel.

One of the disadvantages to shooting any O/U is that in a crosswind, the stacked barrels will act as a sail to push the gun around a bit and destabilize both hold and the move to the target.

MK

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

MK is correct; a lot also depends on gun weight...o/u would likely weigh more than BT99, helping with the felt recoil. No, ported chokes don't help with felt recoil...just get dirty and hard to clean. Regards, Ed

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ported choke tubes can help recoil, but not very much. They're only effective at reducing about 2% of the total recoil.

Ported choke tubes, contrary to popular belief, cannot help with muzzle rise because the ports are all around the circumference of the tube extension. Physics says so, not me.

On the guns and recoil? Generally speaking, the one that weighs more will experience less calculated recoil.

I personally cannot tell a whit of difference shooting top barrel versus bottom barrel on my O/U.

What MK says about O/U's in a crosswind is absolutely true.

6. letts

letts TS Member

I fired a 50 gal. single shot target rifle once, No kick, non at all. Gun weighed 47 lbs if my memory is correct. I do not think an Citori O&U will ever kick as a BT 99 does as it weighs more than the BT99.. I have a Citori and a BT99, the BT99 does kick more but neither gun is a problem as far as the kick.
    I feel a Xtra full choke kicks much more than a mod or an improved mod does and for shooting from the 16 yd line I use a mod choke for that reason.

Letts

7. slodsm

slodsm Member

I agree with everything posted above. I occasionally will shoot trap with my bird gun (Citori 12 with 26" barrels) just to do it and although the recoil on my BT99 with an IM choke isn't bad at all, my Citori with a Mod fired through the lower barrel is practically non existent.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My experience with 5 different BT99s and one Citori Trap gun is that the BT99s had less felt recoil than the top barrel of the Citori. The geometry of design is that the BT99 is almost a midsingle compared to the high profile design of the Citori receiver where the hinge pin is underneath the bottom barrel compared to the low profile design of O/Us with trunions in the receiver.

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

BT-99's are known to be hard kickers. The Citori will recoil less
    due to the added weight.

10. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks for everybodies input. I couldn't resist and sold my Citori Trap for an almost unfired Invector choked 34 inch older BT-99. What aftermarket recoil pad does everyone recommend?

Thanks,

Joe

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

MK right on the money.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Felt recoil has much more to do with how the gun fits the shooter than what gun is being shot. The same gun can be shot very comfortably by one person and produce much felt recoil in another person.

Pat Ireland

13. TrapDoggie

TrapDoggie TS Member

Go to a big shoot and you will notice quite a few BT 99 shooters use a add-on barrel weight... They work well to ease the barrel rise induced face slap on BTs. See the link to a nice Graco unit...cheap and effective.

14. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

I shoot an older ('70's) vintage BT99 and have a Gracoil unit on it and love it. Recoil hasn't been an issue with me with the loads we purchase/reload, even before the Gracoil unit was installed. I have an add-on barrel weight that I haven't tried out as yet. Not for cheek slap but just for a little added weight.

Charlene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 99vs citori 725

browning bt-99 or 725 trap

browning bt99 vs citori

browning citori felt recoil

compare browning citori and bt99

compare citori vs bt99

is the recoil pad on a citori same as a bt 99

which has less recoil browning citori or a-5 shotgun