1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori Unsingle vs Cynergy Unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vikingsfaninmi, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vikingsfaninmi

vikingsfaninmi TS Member

I am looking to buy an unsingle. I have been comparing a Citori Unsingle/Over- Under combo vs a Cynergy Unsingle Over-Under combo. What are the pros and cons of each? What are your experiences? Thanks, Brad

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

From what I read on here there are two distinctive differences. The cynergy has not so good triggers and it appears that the cynergy has a much less resale value. I am sure there are more but these seem to be some of the bigger ones.

3. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

I have shot both - the Cynergy trigger is a non-issue for me. I cant tell a stitch of difference between the two .... when I pull the trigger. The biggest difference should be in the feel & fit of the 2 guns. How do you like it ... when you shoulder the gun. The Cynergy should have a slightly "slimmer" feel - which I prefer. Granted, the Cynergy resale might not be quite as good as the Citori.

4. TrapperP2005

TrapperP2005 Member

Are you looking to buy used or new?

Jordan

5. flasch192

flasch192 Member

the only reason the resale value is less is because guys that havent shot them say bad things about them ..........

6. AEP

AEP Member

I agree with Flasch192. I have said it many times, the Cynergy gets a bad rap. The triggers are bad, however, they are bad on the Citori also. It is Brownings policy to have heavy triggers on ALL their trap guns.

I own one and it is a fine gun. I performed my own trigger job and it works quite well.

Don't be afraid of the Cynergy. Most important whatever gun you choose it has to feel good to you. Don't just buy a gun because of price.

Good luck,
    Amdy

7. jc128763

jc128763 TS Member

OK, I have shot both quite a bit an actually own the Cynergy combo (O/U & unsingle). From what I understand actually finding a Citori unsingle isn't an easy endeavor but let's assume for the sake of argument you have found one. To be fair, I've only shot the O/U Citori (an XT Golden Clays) Here are my impressions:

The Cynergy has a much longer feel to it. As stated by someone earlier, the Cynergy has a slimmer profile and this may add to this perception of length. But the LOP is the LOP and though it may feel longer it isn't. When shooting the Citori, I feel a lot more bunched up - perceptually it feels like my hand is **really** close to my face. Some people like feeling compact and others like feeling extended - it may just boil down to me being the extended sort. Get your hands on both and give them a whirl (even if you can only find an O/U Citori, the hand placement should be the about the same as the unsingle.)

I really like the trigger on the Cynergy - it is crisp and authoritative. I have only ever had one issue when using the O/U barrel and I think the issue was that I didn't close it tightly enough (I really hate slamming it shut.) If you are considering a switch to a release trigger in any mode (R/P, R/R) you should be aware that there hasn't been a lot of work in the area for the Cynergy - reports of success vary. For the Citori the opposite is the case.

As mentioned earlier, finding an unsingle Citori may be difficult and if you ever needed a replacement barrel you would be hard pressed. Something to consider...

The truth of the matter is that it boils down what the gun you shoot the best and feels like a part of you. I added a Gra-Coil to my Cynergy because I wanted it soft and I have never regretted it. When I am on my game the Cynergy crushes the birds to dust - and isn't that what this game is all about?

You will hear some folks who will say to look at what you see on the line the most and learn from the experience of others - you will see more Citoris than Cynergys. However, there are those times when **everyone** get their clocked cleaned by an old timer with a gun his grandfather gave him that has been glassed/bondo'd so much that you aren't sure there is any original wood left. Why? He has customized it to fit his style of shooting. Just food for thought.

So the next time you are walking the line and see a guy with a Cynergy, hang out until his trap is done and ask him to try it on for size. Who knows? It might be me.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I've shot both the Citori and Cynergy in O/U configuration and think the trigger on the Citori was better which, for me, on shotgun, simply means that I didn't notice it at all. If I notice the feel, the lock time, or the pull weight of a shotgun trigger then I don't like it and that's how I felt about the Cynergy.

The Euro-styling of the Cynergy has really never gained the broad acceptance of the Classic Citori. The early ones with that weird recoil pad that dipped way into the stock were particularly unpopular.

The great thing about the Cynergy is that if you find one that fits and shoots well for you, it can usually be purchased for significantly less than a Citori of equal condition. That's why, for shooters I intend to keep long-term, I really enjoy discovering less popular guns. Sometimes "different" can be really good. For example, my 16ga Citori Lightning from the original late 80s run was initially unpopular and I got it for a song. But once people discovered it to be a phenomenal upland game gun, it gained a little cult following. I could have sold it several times at a good profit.

-Gary

9. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

" I could have sold it several times at a good profit."

Sell a gun for a profit ?

Heaven forbid.

That could cause all kinds of problems.

Next thing you know people will be trying to exploit pre-64 Winchesters and first generation Colts instead of accepting 50% depreciation on their original list price.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have been told when I was looking at the adjustable Cynergy combo by Allems and others they nwon't install a release trigger in them due to trigger design, have not seen one with a release trigger, has anyone seen one with a release trigger?

Is there someone who will install a release trigger in them?

Guns Unlimited had good prices on them, but that was my hold back over a year ago.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I sold mine a few years ago because I could not get a release
    trigger installed in it. The pull trigger was 6.5 pounds. I
    took a big bath to get rid of it. The Citori is a much smarter
    buy.

12. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I just bought the Cynergy Combo from a fine gentleman on TS. I had shot the XT O/U for the past 9 years. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY CYNERGY!!! No trigger issues what so ever. I don't want a release trigger so thats not an issue for me personally. I highly recommend shooting one!

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Citori guns, parts, and service will be around long after the Cynergy has been discontinued.

14. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The XT will hold up much better to the "pounding" trap puts on a combo gun.
    Plus what skeetman said about the parts and service availability long term.

Never bought a gun to sell....always bought them to shoot.

XT...hands down.

15. deadnout

deadnout Member

i bought a xt trap combo from guns unlimited in jan 2012. i shot 1500 rds through the unsingle and struggled with my scores. it was a fixed monte carlo stock. i had a gray coil cheek piece and a adjustable butt plate with a kick-eez pad installed. set everything up to fit me and my my scores jumped to 21-22. i love the feel of the gun and it handles great. never shot a cynergy so i cant compare the two. but i love my citori.

16. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

I bought a cynergy about a year ago and to me it is the best fitting gun out of the box I have ever purchased.I have no problem with the triger.I have 2 citoris and I like them but they don't feel as nice to me.There are a couple of places that make relese trigers for them and I think there value will improve later on so if you got one at a good price you will be good.

17. Covercollector

Covercollector Member

Dr. Longshot, Check the post in for sale or trades for a Cynergy trap combo for trade.Someone listed a smith in colorado that installs a release trigger for them.Randy

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the posts here but from what I have heard the Cynergy has not got the best report on holding up for a shooter. The people that I have known who had them sold them because of all the times they were in the gunshop being repaired. Stay with the Citori or something else.

19. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Auctioneer, that could be part of the reason there resale is down..
    If you pay any attention to the guns for sale on here, if it don't sale it is undesirable or the price is too high.

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

goose2, I have not noticed if there have been any Citori or Cynergy for sale here on TS.com because I'm not interested in either one. I'm only tell what I have seen other do and have to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

citori vs cynergy