1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

citori shell ejectors too strong

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by povs9, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. povs9

povs9 TS Member

What can be done to my citori xs pro comp to stop it from ejecting shells over my shoulder? I reload so I want to save hulls. I am told the ejector springs can be changed to softer springs. who sells these?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would just shorten the springs a little by clipping off a couple of coils.

3. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

A standard 1911 firing pin spring will convert the ejectors to extracters. Simple change...spring should be available at mosts gunsmiths for a couple bucks a piece.

4. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

I tried 1911 firing pin return springs from Brownell in my XTs but they varied in length; some worked fine while others bound up the ejector mechanism so that they had to be ground shorter.

Then I found some standard hardware store springs for about 35¢ each and they have lasted for many thousand rounds:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>The springs are <UL><LI>1.40" long (±.020"), <LI>.250" / 1/4" O.D. (±.005") <li>made of 12 turns of .031" wire (20 gauge)</UL> The minor variations in length and diameter don't matter and the springs lift the hulls nicely from the chamber.

Mike K

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

How hard is to change those springs?

6. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

It's harder to get the OEM springs out than it is to get the replacements back in.

You'll want to remove the iron from the forestock. Put a towel on a bench, put the iron on it and fold the towel over the iron. Rotate the top of the ejector hammer back toward the spring and the spring and guide rod will pop out downward. The towel catches them. Then just change the spring.<center>
    [​IMG]
    Spring in place</center>

Mike K

7. povs9

povs9 TS Member

thank you for the info Mike K. going to hardware store tomorrow.

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The above link is a pictorial with explanation on how to do it. Any coil spring that fits in the hole should work. The 1911 springs worked for me. If they are too long, you can always cut them a little.

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

catch the shells as they're ejected?

10. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

<I>"catch the shells as they're ejected?"</I>

...better for everybody if a shooter just picks them out of the gun's chamber and bags them than chasing after the one's they missed catching... and they WILL miss catching some of them unless they're teenagers with Ninja reflexes.

I originally changed my springs because the Browning springs caused 2 of the short pins that stick out of the side of the ejectors (Browning calls them "screws") to unscrew and be lost. I paid a well-known East Coast gun dealer $100 to replace the first one before an honest smith charged me $10 to replace the second. Lesson learned.<br>*****************

<I>"The above link is a pictorial with explanation on how to do it. Any coil spring that fits in the hole should work."</i>

There are dozens of hardware store springs that will fit the space that WON'T work because they are either <OL><LI>too weak to lift the weight of the hull against the friction of the chamber, or<LI>strong enough to eject the hull which defeats the reason for the swap.</OL> I probably have most of them in a jar somewhere!

The ones I use are strong enough to lift the hulls up reliably with maybe just a little bounce but not strong enough to launch them.

Mike

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that the spring would have to be strong enough to lift the hull. This is why I recommend the 1911 spring:<br><ol><LI>It fits over the ejector rod without interfering with the operation<li>It's strong enough to lift the hull without ejecting it</ol>

See, I'm putting my new found HTML knowledge to work. Thanks again Mike.

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I put the 1911 firing pin spring in my BT-99 ejector. It pops
    the empty about half way out.

13. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

As you open the gun, just hold your hand over the over the action so the shells will not go anywhere. You don't have to catch them mid-air like a hot-dogger. Just stop them from getting out. Don't make this harder than it is.

14. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Gary,

One of the other advantages to changing Browning ejectors to extractors is the reduced stress on that little pin threaded into the side of the ejector. I've had 2 break myself It's a weak connection and the OEM springs really beat it up. If the pin gets loose and falls out it can be replaced. But if it breaks at the threads the ejector needs to be replaced and THAT involves machine work to match the ejector to the chamber. The mod has more value than just convenience.

Mike K

valmet thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning 525 ejector lift shell

citori shell ejectors

how to stop browning citori from ejecting shells