1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori Problems - who in PA/MD can fix?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roger8918, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

My Son's Citori is having problem consistently firing on the bottom barrel. With our SCTP/AIM state shoot only a few weeks away, who in York PA/Northern Baltimore area would you recommend I contact?

2. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

There's several gunsmiths in the area who could work on it. Just call any local to your area, or Browning for a list of repair centers. Otherwise I would try new main springs and remove the firing pin and clean the pin and internal area thoroughly. This will probably resolve any simple issue. You may also have a broken firing pin, if so call Browning and you can buy one direct from them. If you need any help, with cleaning/changing springs, send me a private message with your # and I'll cal and talk you through it.

Jeff Graupp

3. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

In addition to the recommended cleaning, spring change and firing pin change look at ammunition. In particular Winchester AA have a very thin rim and it creates a pseudo head space thet the firing pin must cross to reach the primer. Try Remington in the bottom barrel.

Chuck

4. macgyver

macgyver TS Member

Experienced same problem along with some other folks. The problem could be a chipped lower firing pin that rotates. Sometimes it fires and sometimes it doesn't. Brownings are notorious for having firing pins go out. I shot a XT Trap and another fella shot a XS Special. Same problem. Check the strike on some empties and then look closely at the pin to see if it is completely rounded or looks chipped. R.A. Brown in Westminster can fix it if ya want to ride that far. There's a fella who shoots out of Carney Club that use to work at the Browning factory but his name escapes me. Call the club and I'm sure someone will remember the name. Nice guy and I think he lives in Harford Co., MD.

Carney Rod & Gun Club (Click for Interactive Map)
    9721 Hilltop Dr
    Baltimore, MD 21234
    Phone: 410-668-1019

DIRECTIONS:

Baltimore Beltway, I-695 towards Towson, to the Carney exit (Harford Rd, exit 31).
    Go north appx. 1 1/2 miles. Turn right onto Summit Avenue. Go appx. 1/4 mile
    to Hilltop Drive (at the top of the hill, of course), turn left and follow 1 block to the
    entrance of Carney Rod and Gun Club.

5. BudLight

BudLight Member

roger8918, The guy at Carney is Mike O'Brian.

6. laura!

laura! Member

Roger, Arthur Miller is the best. John should have his #.

7. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

I had the same problem with my Citori twice.

Bottom barrel would misfire maybe one every 10 times. Very frustrating. Also, the firing pin appeared to have a "dent" in it, which is what I thought the problem was. I was shooting mainly Rio's at the time and I thought maybe something with their primers had put the indentation in the firing pin.

I took it to a gunsmith who replaced the firing pin and everything was good........for 4 months. Then, it started happening again. And, I noticed that my firing pin appeared dented again. Ugh.

Anyhow, one day at a shoot, I was telling a guy about my situation and he said he had a similar problem and his solution was to heavily lubricate the entire trigger assembly/firing pin/etc. Basically the whole guts of the gun.

I did what he said and the misfire immediately went away and I haven't had a misfire for 3 months and I didn't spend another dime with the gunsmith.

Basically, I removed the stock (which you'll need a really long flat blade screwdriver to do) and gave it a bath in Breakfree. I mean, I heavily lubricated the gun. Did I mention I used ALOT of Breakfree? Alot. It was dripping out of the side of the gun for a couple of days.

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Check this link:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=89866&sid=2ca4d26c3c9a43ff4d641dc7310f5eaf

9. macgyver

macgyver TS Member

Tks Budlight. Mike O'Brian is the fella. Terrible getting old isn't it? I saw some of his work on a couple of guns and it was first class. BTW, Laura! someone told me back during the Fall Heart of Md shoot that Arthur Miller wasn't taking any work. Nice to know he's still out there. His work has always amazed me.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I>"I mean, I heavily lubricated the gun. Did I mention I used ALOT of Breakfree? Alot. It was dripping out of the side of the gun for a couple of days."</I>

What a great idea! Soak the inside of the stock with oil...makes it nice and soft and keeps it from squeaking!

<I>"Also, the firing pin appeared to have a "dent" in it, which is what I thought the problem was. I was shooting mainly Rio's at the time and I thought maybe something with their primers had put the indentation in the firing pin."</I>

A "dent" in the nose of a Browning firing pin is a pit burned in the pin by punching holes in primers. Punching primers fill the firing pin bores with crud and soot and keeps the pins from traveling their full length...and it doesn't take many to load up a pin bore. The Break-Free may have softened the debris and moved it into some other part of the action.

The better approach would have been to pull the firing pin and spring, clean the bore, replace the pin with a new model and put in one of Jim Flynn's high quality main springs. And either stop using primers that fill your action with trash when you punch holes in them or lay in a supply of firing pins and springs and replace them yourself...regularly.

MK

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Excellent link Bluedsteel, the above URL is the same. Wayne

12. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

What can I say, MK, we can't all be as brilliant as you.

13. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe TS Member

I had my Citori fixed at Griffin & Howe, Bernardsville, NJ. Kinda close to the other locations you listed I think. The turn around time may be longer than you like however.

14. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks everyone, I'm having the gun looked at by Arthur tonight. Hopefully its a simple fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.