1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori Plus

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by economan, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. economan

economan TS Member

I was suprised to see that, at one time, Browning apparently made a "Citori Plus" combo model that was similar to the BT99 Plus in that it has a pogo stick recoil pad and a high post adjustable rib.

I am interested in learning more about this gun but cannot find much information searching the web or Browning's web site. Can anyone direct me to source of information on the Citori Plus or the Citori Plus Combo? Thanks, Greg.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Like its BT-99 Plus cousin, the Citori Plus was a Citori trap model with a higher adjustable aluminum rib, higher adjustable stock and shock-absorber mounted adjustable recoil pad. I owned one of the first Citori Pluses in this area, a 32" non-ported model, and frankly found it quite clubby. I had a few other gripes with it and when a shooter offered me every cent I paid for it ($1,349.99 plus sales tax) because it was not ported, he became the proud owner.

The "Plus" guns apparently were not overly popular as Browning discontinued them after a short time. Today, they seem quite popular on the used gun market and I see a BT-99 with the same "Plus" rib and higher combed adjustable stock minus the recoil reducer is now available.

Ed

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I had a 30" O/U Plus. Very nice gun. There was a couple for sale on this site recently. As a lefty it fit the bill. I won with that gun for many years. Dave T.

4. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

I have two of them. My son uses the 32" and I use the 30". I agree they seem a bit 'clubby' at first, but you get used to it. We have both shot 24's in skeet with these. (Still working on the straight, but it's not the gun's fault.) We are shooting in the mid-nineties for trap. My son managed a 93 on doubles the other day.

Dan

5. Rogiena

Rogiena Member

I own one and love it have shot mid 90s with it and stacks of 25s. I had to add an additional rib on it to stabalize the origional. Did some custom stock work to fit a 5 ft tall 100 lb female but like the other guy said you get used to the weight.
    Rogiena

6. AveragEd

Weight in total wasn't my complaint - I like a ten-pound trap gun and all three of mine weigh about the same. But it was something about the way it handled that I didn't care for. In fact, I didn't select the term "clubby" to describe it. Being something very new at the time, it drew a lot of looks and a lot of shooters asked to handle it. I heard many of them apologize in advance and then tell me it felt like a club. "Dead weight" is the best I can do.

My biggest gripe actually was with Browning itself. The instructions tell you the recoil reducer requires no lubrication but grease continually oozed from mine and it made a clicking sound every time the gun was fired. The POI adjustment instructions have you double-adjusting every time you change the POI. And the rib jingled and rang when the gun was closed. Three months after I sent them a letter, I got a reply addressing my concerns. They told me that grease oozed from the recoil reducer and it made a clicking sound because it absorbs up to 25% of the felt recoil. The POI instruction comment was addressed by telling me that the adjustable rib and comb allow for a POI from 50/50 to 90/10. And the rib jingled and rattled because it, conjunction with the adjustable comb, allowed a POI adjustment between 50/50 and 90/10.

That was the only Browning I've ever owned. The promptness of their reply and its content told me that if I ever needed real service, the porch light would be on but no one would be home. Without good service behind it, even the very best product is worthless.

Ed

7. ccridr

ccridr Member

I have a Citori plus Golden clays combo, 32" O/U and a 34 single, would not part with it.
    Colby

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a 34/30 combo also and would not part with it...the top single is very smooth to the target and once set up adjustments are never needed. I like that I can shorten it for winter when the coats go on

9. economan

economan TS Member

I will have to keep my eyes open at the Grand. I would like to handle one and see how it feels since I am currenly looking for a doubles gun with a high post rib. The seem to be few and far between in the moderate price range. Greg

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Greg,
    I have one for sale. Browning Citori Plus Trap Gun. 32” O/U barrels w/ Invector Plus chokes. Fully adjustable comb (padded) & rib. Spears single release trigger, which can easily be converted to pull triggers. Browning hard case. Decelerator recoil pad. Hi-Viz competition site. Barrel blinder. Good condition. Swings very well. Excellent doubles gun. Timney direct replacement recoil reducer available. $1800.00.

Jon Reitz
    585) 968-0726 (H)
    716) 353-0914 (C)
    716) 375-3582 (W)

JReitz@Dresser-Rand.com

Support our troops!

11. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have seen Jon's gun and it is in very good shape if I had the extra cash I would deffinately buy it myself.

12. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Well, I guess I am just a big ole dumb counrty boy who wouldn't know a club from the fine fancy gun that Ed shoots.

The best feature of the plus guns is the ability to make them shoot where you want, if you are willing to take the time and expend the effort and cardboard. Over the years I have made a few upgrades, mostly for comfort, and most of my service has been done by Browning at the Grand.

I shoot my 32" ported 1991 Citori Plus for doubles, Briley LM bottom, Briley LF top. For singles bottom barrel, Briley IM. Also added a Timney adjustable recoil reducer and soft comb by Tom Larkin.

Handicap from 27 a 1989 34" BT plus, Briley Full, Timney and the soft comb.

My ATA # is 1714041 if you want to look me up to see how these 2 "clubs" shoot.

13. Rogiena

Rogiena Member

I now understand where the term "cubby" came from, guess i misunderstood. however I always use The Country Gentlemen or Plinski Arms for repairs ( think I spelled his name wrong)If I am not home,
    Rogiena

14. AveragEd

RLC, are you referring to my 870 or my 1100?

Seriously, I did not mean to offend any Browning owners but I judge a product very much by the service behind it. After all, if it breaks and you can't get it repaired promptly or you have concerns that take three months to be addressed in the manner mine were, you have to wonder how good the service will be when you really need it.

In this case, the service was quite lacking and the gun and I weren't getting along very well anyway, so when an attractive offer was presented, I accepted it on the spot. But I know and know of a whole lot of people who shoot them very well and if this much demand for "Plus" guns existed when they were in production, Browning probably would not have discontinued them. They're kind of like 90-Ts in that regard.

Ed

15. shootsome

shootsome Member

Ed, I'm with you on the service part. I owned one Browning. They literally ignored me - their customer. I sold the gun. I never reward poor service with additional business. Where I work customers are very important people - they bring money to the table. If you ignore a customer, you will be promptly fired. I bought an SKB 85TSS and the service has been superb. They answer my questions fast. I didn't like the triggers and they adjusted them to my satisfaction quickly at no charge. They are a good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.