1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori plus advice needed please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tacoma, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tacoma

Tacoma TS Member

Hi, I've been toying with the idea of a new trap shooting stick to replace the old bt99. This AM I stumbled onto a very nice Browning Citori plus ( ser # range 411101NMJ43, 32" ported, adjustable stock and butt) at a local shop . The gun seems pretty clean, locks up tight and fits well but I have two concerns. First, the lever end is maybe 1/8" rt of center. ( in line with the right edge of the safety lever.) Knowing this is a wear indicator, I'm not sure how much more life it would have before it would need rework (by browning?) Thoughts? The other, which bothers me more is that there is a distinct stop/catch/hangup just a few degrees into the travel of the release lever. It stops cold and take some significant force for it to overcome the stop and release/open the action. ( There is no stop when the action is open and the lever cycled though. Only when the barrels are on. Handgaurd has no effect. ) IS this the sign of something serious? posable causes? Could it be repaired simply by a home gunsmith with intermediate skills and tools?
    p.s. I can take the gun home for about 1200 OTD.
    Any advice/insight greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Can't help you with the lever problem, but I have the same gun. I got it from Cabelas this year for $1500. The only thing I found on mine is that it shoots very high, even when everything is adjusted as low as it will go. It definitely is a trap gun, and not very versatile for shooting anything else. Mine shoots about 80/20 and up from there. Lots of bang for the buck. Mark

3. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I'd call or email Doug Braker @ Dougs Gunsmith Shop. Link above.

He can tell you exactly what is wrong and the cost to fix it.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The lever SHOULD be right of center (viewed from above, barrel away from you) when the gun has seen little use. It's when it gets to the center line of the receiver that the action needs attention.

The hitch in the release is probably caused by the locking lug still being tight in the barrel notch combined with a strong top lever spring. THAT will require the attention of a smith to determine whether the notch needs to be polished or if it should just be allowed to wear in.

Keller

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if they will let you shoot it before you buy it. That way you will find out if it is user friendly. HMB

6. Tacoma

Tacoma TS Member

Thanks Gents, THe action is tight so it may just be a wear in issue . It doesn't appear to have been shot much. It's only the closeness of the lever to center that makes me wonder. I will give doug a call. Just need to go see if tghe seller would compensate for a trip to the smith.
    Dave

7. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

If it is still slightly to the right its good for 1000's more rounds and 1200.00 is a good price especially 32".

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

For that money someone is going to snag that gun while your still sitting on the fence. It wouldn't last an hour if posted on TS for sale.

Robert

9. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

The aluminum ribs on these bend very easily and factory replacements are hard to find. Some folks are replacing them with after-market ribs that have been machined out of stronger materials. When attaching the forearm to the barrel do not push on the rib for support. The original recoil device sometimes sticks. There was a Timney replacement that worked better, but they are no longer made. A friend of mine shoots the lights out with his Plus, which he has nicknamed the "Pogo Stick". Bob

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

buy it...

11. Tacoma

Tacoma TS Member

Thank, I checked the rib with a straight edge. It's straight the length of the barrel but crowns slightly at the center bead. Looks to be normal as there are no sharp bends/kinks. I had been thinking a BT 99 plus/bt 100 might be the next but this will give the option for doubles. ( My other O/U are field/sporting guns that shoot flat.)I think I'll take a chance.If I don't love it, I can always sell it off at/ near even. I'll keep the current BT99 for a while just in case.
    Now I just need to figure out the sticky locking lever.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

citori locking lever replacement cost

citori release lever catching

hitch in citori release lever

sticky action on browning citori