1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori opposite trigger problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oregunner, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I picked up a used Citori Trap Plus and noticed that the trigger pull was very sensitive. I measured the bottom barrel trigger pull and it was between 1 and 2 pounds. The top barrel is about 3 pounds and I think that feels about right. Most threads I read are about wanting to lighten the trigger. Is there an easy way to stiffen up my trigger pull, (with new spring, maybe) that doesn't require sending it off to a gunsmith? Thanks, Mark

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

See how far you can open the gun before the hammer resets. If you can open it pretty far -maybe far enough to load a shell in the bottom barrel, the sear
    has been altered and just replacing a spring won't do it.

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

No. This will require a gunsmith.

4. Oregunner

I just checked and the triggers set well before the gun is fully opened, so I don't think the sears have been altered. I used my RCBS trigger scale and the bottom is at 2# and the top is at 3#. I am pretty handy with gun stuff, replacing firing pins, etc. What would a gunsmith do to stiffen up the trigger pull? I see spring replacement kits for Citoris on this site. They include hammer springs, lower firing pin spring, and top lever spring, but not sear springs. What do new springs affect, and which affect what? I see other sites refer to the sear spring being cut to lighten the pull. How hard is it to replace the sear springs, if they have been modified by a previous owner? I'm trying to learn. Thanks, Mark

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The sear springs don't set the pull weight; the sear engagement does. A gunsmith will adjust the pull weight by adjusting the sear engagement.

Don't take my word for it. Call Doug Braker @ 218-947-3600 and ask him. He's an expert in this field and will tell you exactly what you need.

6. Oregunner

Thanks for the insights. I continue to learn about this sport. Right now, I plan to shoot it for a while, as is. People pay good money to lighten the trigger pull. Far be it from me to fight the tide. Mark

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The sear engagement determines the amount of creep the trigger has. The trigger spring controls the weight of pull. The hammer spring, sear engagement, and the trigger return spring can affect the weight of pull to a lesser degree. Replace the spring or stretch the existing spring a little and see what happens to the weight of pull. HMB

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

There is more to sear engagement than just travel. There is also the angle at which it engages. I was lead to understand that the Trigger Piston spring only controlled the movement of the trigger so it wouldn't flop free. Same with the Sear. I'm willing to learn as well though and hold my thoughts until a qualified gunsmith corrects this.

Mark,
    A 2lb trigger pull is far too light for me. I bought a Perazzi that had a 1.5lb pull and it was a bugger to swing without pulling the trigger prematurely. I had Doug Braker change it to 3.5lbs and it was much better.

Seriously, call Doug. He's the man and the rest of us are just hacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.