1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

citori opens after fireing?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bob_K, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Worn locking bolt.

2. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Worn Locking Bolt ( Like the man said ) Plus worn Lever Spring

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

This happened to mine a few years back, sent it out for a rebuild. Give Pat a check at
    Pat's Gun Repair
    495 9th Street SW
    Wells, MN 56097-1424

Phone: (507) 553-5730
    Fax: (507) 553-3657
    Toll Free: (866) 414-2873

He did a great job on mine. If this is something that just started you can probally get by with just a new spring for the locking block for this summer, but it will not last long.

GS

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Also, make sure you haven't over-oiled it around the locking bolt area. For example: over-oil the barrels and then stand it muzzle up in the safe for a month or so. Made that mistake twice actually. Knew it could happen, but guess I had to find out a how little oil it took the hard way. Good luck.

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

TEMPORARY FIX. CLean the locking lug with degreaser. Get some rosin, like baseball pitchers use and put a little on the locking lug. Mine used to open and an old gunsmith suggested to try the rosin. Worked very well until I had Art's rebuild my combo. People sometimes wonder what the white powder is, but OH WELL.

Mike

6. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Please do not listen to folks who would declare the need for a new locking bolt without ever having touching the actual gun. Yes the locking bolt could be in need of replacement, but the first thing to look at is the top lever spring. You cannot diagnose a worn locking bolt over the freakin internet.

7. buckmark

buckmark TS Member

simple fix.....get a new lever spring. about 6 bucks

8. FLIP

FLIP Member

top lever spring

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

Maybe it is gun wear and maybe it might be your loads. Remington 300 series o&u's will open if your loads are too hot. I have seen that happen on two so far. Use only recommended data and don't mix components without seeing if you can find it as a recommended load. Just a little extra powder can make a hellish difference in pressure.

10. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Replace the top lever spring, then clean the action good and lubricate it lightly. The chances are very good that this will fix the problem.

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I agree that you can not really tell what is wrong without inspecting the gun.

When mine started that I took it to a gun smith and after checking the top lever and feeling the top lever spring action he suggested I give the lock block a good cleaning. If that did not work he would then put a new top lever spring in and see if that worked.

I took it home and got break cleaner and really flushed it many times. The crud just kept coming out. I guess the previous owners had never cleaned it like this. When it seemed clean I then lightly oiled it and it then worked as it should and no longer opened. Ray

12. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Send it to Doug Braker (DR GUN ON TS.COM) he will do only what it take great work at a very fair price Jon

13. skb trapshooter

skb trapshooter TS Member

worn Lever Spring ,my wife has a older citori did the same thing ,put a new spring in it ,fixed the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.