1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori - new springs, now primer getting hit hard

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Hi,
    Fishing for some advice for "new to me" 1982 Citori Trap. For maintenance reasons, I ordered new springs and firing pins from Browning. I noticed the new springs were about 0.080" longer than the old ones. After using the gun yesterday, I noticed the primers were getting hit pretty hard (big dent). With the under barrel, there was black soot in the primer dent .... about every 3-4 shells. I assume this was from the primer dent being cracked ? Should I worry about this ?
    thanks, Brian

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If you cant see where the primer has been pierced, the source of the black soot could be from around the primer leaking back(on reloaded shells) or if new shells, it could be blowing back around the hull if the chamber is a little loose. This shouldn't be anything to worry about, but if it makes you rest any easier, mic the chamber and see if it is in spec

Bob

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you compare the length of the old and new firing pins? HMB

4. bluskyshooter

HMB,
    No, I did not compare the length of the old vs new. I just took it on faith Browning would send the correct pin. My bad.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If the firing pin length checks out, put the "best" old spring back in the bottom hammer and see if the problem goes away. Good luck.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Suspect you are using Cheddite primers. this is a common problem with these French made POS.

Tb

7. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

YAAY!!!!! TB.,

You got that right.

Sandy Holehouse.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Springs and firing pins are cheap for the Browning. Install them every so often and just shoot it!

I shoot Rio primers. I save $30+ per case with them. Five cases saves $150. A lower firing pin is a few bucks, and ten minutes to install it. A mainspring set, top lever spring, both firing pins and a lower firing pin return spring costs about $30.

I have had more misfires with Winchester, Remington, and Fed 209A primers than with the Cheddite, (ZERO) or Rio (ZERO).

9. bluskyshooter

Unknown,
    Thanks for the reference dimensions on the pin extension. I will give that a check ASAP. As for the primer - it is Noblesport. I have been thru 5000+ in 4-5 different shotguns. Never a FTF or a pierced primer. This is the first occurrence of piercing. Question: if the primer extension checks OK ... what is the possibility of grinding 1-2 coil turns off the spring ? Unfortunately, I tossed the old springs. Thks, Brian

10. bluskyshooter

Unknown,
    I appreciate you sharing that knowledge.
    good shooting, Brian

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"After using the gun yesterday, I noticed the primers were getting hit pretty hard (big dent)."

Was this same thing happening with the old firing pin and spring, in this same gun, same primers? If not, the new firing pin may be a tad longer causing the extra force on the primer face? A few thousandths can make a huge difference on impacting primers.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.