1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori Makeover for Wife

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miner1, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miner1

miner1 Member

As we hopefully near early retirement and more able to follow winter shooting events in the south, my wife would like to get into the game so we can enjoy shooting together. I have a conventional Citori Trap (late 80's vintage) with only about 5K rounds through it and wondering what mods would have to be made and cost to have fitted for my wife (5'3") The stock is MC and barrel(s) 30".

Thanks for the input.

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

My Citori is of the same vintage but with 32" barrels. The modifications necessary depend on how well the gun fits and shoots the lady now. The stock on mine has been shortened and a fully-adjustable butt pad installed so the LOP is about 13 5/8". The comb is adjustable vertically and horizontally. This work was done by a stock fitter. The trigger has been reworked to a 3 1/2 pound pull.

The cost depends entirely one who does the work and the quality of the components used.

Carol Lister

3. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I would think that at minimum she will require an adjustable butt pad and comb.
    Those would cost around $400 installed. May require shortening also, if she's 5'3. No additional cost, but would just be shorter for her.Check those prices @ Rod's Custom Stocks or elswhere.

4. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I would (w/o seeing her and her gun) suggest an adjustable comb ($150.00). Adjustable pad including new pad as the Browning's are generally very hard($110.00). The stock would probably need shortened also ($25.00). I would also suggest a C&H recoil reducer ($45.00) installed. I am quoting My prices no one elses. I am located in Ohio.
    Don

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Citori makeover? Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.

6. miner1

miner1 Member

Ya, I guess this does sound a bit strange. The gun needs the makeover, wouldn't change a thing about DW :)

7. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

This caught my eye as my wife started shooting with me in July of 07 after I bought her a Citori. MY wife is also around 5' 3" and 120 lbs. I agree with the shortening to 13 1/2 inch range and the adjustable comb. The adjustable pad (though always nice) depends on her build and comfort mounting the gun.

My addition would be a recoil reduction system of some sort. Many very good ones on the market and price doesn't always mean better. I put a soft touch (full touch) system on my wifes Citori since she fell in love with the system while shooting my best friend's wife's gun.

Whether Hy-grade, Soft touch or any other system with a comb that moves with that delicate face of your wife, it will usually lessen the beating and tenderness that will result for new shooters. Just remembered the Clyde Slide as a similar option.

If the wife is not having any problem with recoil I still believe a system such as a Gra-coil or counter coil or Standard Hy-Grade would add to your wife's enjoyment.

To sum up-Yes on the stock shortening, adjustable comb (4-Way), and a recoil system. Your choice of many fine options. $750. to $2000. depending on your selctions.

Hope she enjoys it, my shooting is much more enjoyable and much more often since I got my wife involved.

Eddie Quire

8. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Very good suggestions!! Eddie
    Don

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If your going to have stock work done, I would recommend a recoil reducer.

I would suggest you have this done the same time you have the stock shortened for her.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

At very least..a visit to a stock fitter.. At best.. a PFS stock that is fully adjustable.. and easily resellable if she doesn't like the sport...AND the original stock can be put back on..

11. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Miner1,

In my opinion, she may do better with a different gun entirely. In particular, I'm concerned about those 30" O/U barrels on a Citori Trap gun. That might be a lot of weight out front for the lady to handle.

Cutting the buttstock down is only going to aggravate the problem and will probably require that even more weight be added to the shortened buttstock to help offset the muzzle heavy gun.

If she is going to shoot a Citori O/U, I would suggest that she at least try out one with 28" barrels. BTW, the barrels on a Citori "sporting" gun are lighter than the barrels on a Citori "trap" gun, so that could make a difference too.

A 28" Citori Sporting Clays gun with an adjustable comb and buttpad might be ideal for her. You could even add a (lightweight) higher rib, if necessary, and still have a more easily handled gun than a 30" Citori Trap gun.

Easystreet

12. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"In my opinion, she may do better with a different gun entirely. In particular, I'm concerned about those 30" O/U barrels on a Citori Trap gun. That might be a lot of weight out front for the lady to handle."</blockquote>

What a chauvinist attitude that is!! Have you ever fitted a gun for a woman? My early-80's Citori is about a pound lighter than the current models and I had to add weight to the barrel to keep from running over targets. Let the shooter decide what feels right after it fits her rather than making assumptions about what YOU think a woman should be able to handle.

Carol Lister

13. Easystreet

Carol,

The original poster asked what we thought of the idea of modifying a 30" Citori trap gun for his 5'3" wife. Further, he thanked us (in advance) for our input.

If you have any problem with me offering my input, then I suggest you take it up with the owner or moderator of this site. If they tell me my input was inappropriate, then I will withdraw my input and apologize for it.

Easystreet

14. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Before you do anything, May I suggest you start letting your wife try some guns where you can rent or borrow shotguns that are set up for a Woman.

Being petitte like you mentioned above, you may want to start with a semi rather than an o/u as they have considerably less recoil.

We rented all sorts of guns, and tried almost every gun we could rent or ask anyone to let her try. Well, we really didn't have to ask. As soon as people found out she was looking for a gun, we had all sorts of people asking her to try their guns.

It turned out to be a really good idea. She decided she liked the Beretta 391 urika 20 ga and she broke lots of targets with it. So after My Girlfriend Decided that was the gun for her, I bought one for her. I then took them both to a good stockfitter and had them do the stock for her and a recoil reducer. I've shot the gun a few times and it has ZERO recoil.

After all I wouldn't want to shoot a gun that doesn't fit well or that kicked hard either.

She loves it! It fits like a glove and the scores just keep going up!

Shoot well and often,
    Tom

15. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Buy that sweet lady something that won't beat the snot out of her. (anything but a browning) Or as Perazzibigbore suggested put a Precisionfit stock on it to tame the recoil down a bit.

Good luck.

16. Easystreet

Be careful there, Tom. You don't want to imply that the petite lady may not be as recoil tolerant as say a 250 pound man or else the P.C. police might get on your case. (Wink. Just kidding in case you couldn't tell.)

Easystreet

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Along with a PFS.. I'd shoot 24 gram at 1200 fps.. I shot with a very frail lady in her 80's in our Senior Olympics.. Her gun was a 391 childrens model in 20 gauge..with a 24" barrel.. She was in the mid 90's from the 16..and shot her capps from the 21 with similar results.. Don't look down on a 391.. but it must still be properly fitted..

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Perazzibigbore beat me to it. I go along with Mike on this one as well. Buy her a PFS and be done with it. She will need to cut stock makeing it workless to sell, adj. comb and butt plate and recoil reducer as well. After she stops shooting after X amount of years sell the PFS and put your old wood back one it. Have good gun fitter set it up for her and do all the adjustments, so she can't blame you any wrong doing, and she will trust the pro's. She will love the PFS. She'll never even feel a one oz. load at ll80 fps. Break-em all. Jeff

19. miner1

miner1 Member

Whoa.......Holy cow, didn't expect this much response. Thanks SO much to everyone for all of the great posts. Carol and Easystreet I took your advice for what it is, I asked for it and you were honest and helpful. My wife has shot my Citori a few times and recoil was not a problem, but LOP is. That is why I want the stock mods. I wish I had $12K lying around to get something besides a Browning, but we are looking to ease into this. If and when I get good enough to deserve an upgrade, we will look at the Citori for her, or heck might just start new. The people on this site have forgotten more than I will ever know about this game, thanks again and hope to run into you at a clubhouse somewhere, someday.

miner1

20. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Our junior high (middle school) girls have liked shooting the 3091RL in the 28" barrel. Some of them have not reached 5'3" yet. With the smaller distance from the pistol grip to the trigger guard, it seems to work well with the smaller hands. It comes with the adjustable comb and you can go as small as a 12.5" LOP. It has standard Beretta Mobile chokes and new they send the I/C choke. NO, I don't have one to sell. I have one, but it is a versatile gun, so I am keeping it. I agree that you don't need to load hot shells for them either. To many people IMHO get them a good gun, then have them shoot a load that is so hot it could be used from the 27 yard line. Let them have some fun and success before you separate their shoulders with your HOT loads. You should be able to find one of these 3901RL to borrow since they were on Beretta's range program at one time. If you decide to buy one, you can find them both new and used. If you are near Omaha, NE. USA, I will let you borrow mine at the trap range!!! IMHO Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

citori stock shortening