1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori...lower barrel FTF, need help!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roger8918, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

My son's Citori Plus is having a FTF problems with the lower barrel. Most of the time there is a good mark on the primer but every once in a while the pin barely makes a scratch. Any suggestions?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Broken pin ? Dirt around the firing pin ? Primers seated too deep? Lots of things can cause this. First figure out if it is the gun or the shells.

Pat Ireland

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

When was the last time the stock was removed and the action cleaned and lubed? This is also a good time for a simple visual inspection of the springs and firring pins.

ss

4. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Pat, I looked at the FTF shells and the primers seemed fine and not pushed in. When the gun did fire the dents in the primers were fine, same as the top barrel.

SS, I got the gun last fall and have never taken the stock off, do you know were I can find instructions for the process?

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This is common with Citoris. I am told there is now a slightly longer firing pin available for them.

I have had the problem several times. Fixes include cleaning, new springs, pin replacement.

I did have a cratered end on the firing pin once, it was a star shaped depression right in the end of the firing pin.

To get to it you remove the trigger guard and recoil pad, then take off the stock. the hammer springs need to be compressed for removal. A needle nose pliers and lots of oomph.

Driving out a small pin allows the firing pin to be removed. Clean the orifice with solvent and a q tip, then put a thin coat of Break Free in there.

Jimmy Flynn has Citori Spring sets on sale, use the search function to find the thread. His spring are much better than factory, I think they're 25 bucks or so.

HM

6. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

If you are shooting Federal ammo, their primers have a rounded bottom(not flat like Win and Rem). The tip of Browning firing pins shorten with wear and it also loses its shape to the extent it won't properly dent Federal primers enough to make them detonate. Try the other shells to see if this might be the case, the flat primers seem to get a deeper punch,even by damaged pins, or get the aftermarket pins mentioned above. May shoot other brands for years witout FTF. Good luck. Jim Bowlin

7. bill2

bill2 Member

Rodger, very common problem. Took XT to the local Browning dealer. They put it in special box, sent it to Browning. I got it back in two weeks no more problem cost 25.00 shipping and insurance. I know how to change springs and firing pins however, I thought Browning might be interested the problem. Bill2

Edit: I did not purchase the gun from the Browning dealer which sent it in and I purchased it used. I hope your as satisfied as I .

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

From Halfmile:

<blockquote><I>"To get to it you remove the trigger guard and recoil pad, then take off the stock. the hammer springs need to be compressed for removal. A needle nose pliers and lots of oomph."</I></blockquote>

No tool is needed to compress the hammer springs to remove the firing pins. Simply cock the action before removing the stock or cock the bottom hammer manually once the stock is off. Then it's a simple matter to drive out the retaining pin to remove the firing pin and return spring.

The retaining pin is knurled on one end. That end will be flush with the surface of the receiver on the right side. Gently drive the pin out from the other side so the knurl comes out first. Replace the retaining pin so the knurl seats last. Use a larger punch to seat the knurled end of the pin flush with the surface of the receiver.

See this web thread for details:

<I>http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=89866</I>

All new lower firing pins are the long design. They cost half as much from Browning as they do from Brownell's.

MK

9. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Roger, I had a Citori Combo, new and after about 3000 rounds it stated to FTF on lower barrel. Cleaned, replaced pens, springs, had a gunsmith work on it, nothing cured the problem. About 5-6000 rounds, it broke the frame, Browning replaced the gun. About 2500 rounds the new one started the same thing, FTF. Sent it back to Browning, with spend, and unfired (FTF) shells. It came back, and was perfect. I kept it for about 6 months, and sold it (lost confendence in it). Browning was very good, and had short turn-a-round time.
    Norman

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

unknown, for the little money I would replace the springs after going through the work of disassembling the gun. That's why I said take them out. They won't come out very easy if the gun is cocked.

But the pint is moot.

HM

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Roger,

Just remove the screws that hold the recoil pad (look for some small slits while pushing on the pad). You may want to use some petroleum jelly to keep the pad from grabbing the shank of the screwdriver.

Once the pad is removed you should be able to see the stock. Remove it and the stock will come free (you may have to strike the stock with a very soft mallet or with your hand to get it to come loose).

You can either use a brake parts cleaner or soak the receiver in laquer thinner. Make sure none of the cleaning agents come in contact with the wood.

You can blow dry the action with compressed air (from compressor or can) and give it a good inspection. Re-oil lightly with a quality spray lubricant (no WD-40)but don't overdue it. Wipe away excess oil and reassemble.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bottom barrel ftf causes

bottom barrel ftf causes of lower

browning ftf lower

citori lower barrel not firing

lower barrel