1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***** CITORI Gunsmithing Question *******

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Easystreet, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I've got a question for the gunsmiths or other knowledgeable shooters out there. First, I'll state that I know a little about guns myself, but this one has me stumped.

I've got a Browning Citori 525 Sporting Clays which I've had for about 2 years but have shot it very little. The gun is still very stiff when opening or closing it, but that is not what has me puzzled or concerned.

What really puzzles me is that when I first start to open the action by pushing the opening lever to the right with my thumb, it feels like the lever is not going to move at all regardless how hard I try. Then, suddenly, it will move and I can even hear a sharp "click" or "crack" noise from somewhere inside the action.

Once I get the lever past this initial "breaking point", it then moves smoothly although still very stiffly until the action is open. By comparison, when I open my well used Citori XT Trap, the lever moves smoothly and easily and I can hear only a very slight rubbing noise of metal sliding easily on metal. With the 525, it almost feels and sounds like something is breaking when I first push hard on the opening lever, although I know that nothing is actually breaking.

I've looked at the locking wedge or bolt that protrudes from the lower part of the breech face and can see nothing unusual. I've also closely examined the slot at the rear of the barrels' monobloc (if that's the right word for it) that engages this bolt and can see no rough edges or other causes for the lever to have difficulty in its initial movement.

When the barrels are removed from the receiver, the lever moves smoothly and without making any noise, so the problem has to be something to do with the way certain parts match up when the action is closed. Of course, the buttstock has been removed and the gun has been thoroughly degreased and cleaned in solvent several times, then lubricated and reassembled. I can assure you that it is not a cleaning or lubrication problem and I'm reasonably sure also that there are no foreign objects fouling up the works since I would have found them long ago.

As best as I can determine, it has to be some fitting issue with the locking mechanism, but I can't be sure exactly what that problem is. Since the tolerances are so small in the lockup of the action, I don't want to start filing randomly on some pieces and perhaps ruin the lockup of the gun.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions on what to look for? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks for any help that is offered.

Easystreet

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

This is typical on new and nearly new Citori shotguns. As long as it opens normally when fired, don't worry about it. DO NOT REMOVE METAL ON THESE GUNS!

They are hand fitted.

I have four Citoris bought new, and after proper lubrication, all of them do this. However, when fired, they all open normally.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

An old Browning gunsmith answered your question. LOL

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

That little tick you here is almost a perfectly fitted locking bolt. The angle on the locking bolt and the angle on the bbl are mating to one another about 90%

The liitle bit of sticking is actually a good thing. It's letting you know the your locking bolt will never move while shooting.

Browning tends to run the angles very close to where a locking taper begins...7 degrees.

Put a dab of grease on the locking area if you feel it sticks a little too much. Any attempt to try and change the angles will result in the top lever moving towards the center.

Here in the shop, I can mate up the two surfaces (by machine and surface grinder) 100% with 8 degree angles. When the gun closes, I have to tap the lever with a plastic hammer just to get it to move. I need to leave some mis-match for the gun to open without too much effort.

Doug Braker

5. Easystreet

Doug Braker,

I've already put more than a dab of grease on the locking area and it still sticks really bad and is hard to open. How long before it will open a little easier?

By the way, even though I've shot only about 500 rounds through the gun, I'm sure that I've opened and closed it at least that many times or more at home in an attempt to loosen it up a bit.

Easystreet

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I would then send it to Browning for warranty repair. Like I mentioned earlier, any alteration, either to the locking bolt or the bbl's lugs, will allow the top lever to position itself closer to the center of the top tang.....leading to the need to have the locking bolt replaced or rebuilt a lot sooner than necessary.

I don't think it'll loosen up for quite some time.

Another problem besides the locking bolt's fit, is the possibilty that the bbl isn't firmly fitted to the receiver's breech face. This can cause the bbl to want to "spring up" from the receiver and pinch the bolt.

doug

7. Easystreet

Doug,

After reading your comment, I was curious just how closely the barrels were fitted to the receiver's breech face so I got a sheet of really thin paper. I measured it at slightly more than 0.002" in thickness. This is about 1/2 the thickness of a dollar bill.

Then I cut a small strip of this paper and closed the action on the strip of paper with the strip sticking out of the top of the action where the top barrel meets the breech face.

I could not pull this strip of paper out of the closed action without tearing the paper in two. Even if I pulled hard enough to tear the paper in two, the piece of paper in the action remained in place. Also, with the strip of paper in the closed action, I could tell a noticeable difference in the position of the top lever. The top lever didn't go nearly as far toward the center as it does normally without the paper inserted into the action.

This would seem to indicate that the barrels fit pretty snugly against the breech face. Would you agree with that?

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

may or may not help, when I purchased my xt used. I would have the tough release with a click. Few things I found. 1 most of the time happened on a weak closeing of the action with no shells in the chamber(s). 2 would always seem to go away after cleaning(short lived) 3 I eventually noticed my cocking lever lifter was binding. turned out to be cracked and slightly bent and the spring was broken inside. I replaced this part and gave my action a heavy cleaning. even after cleaning I placed in small container filled with M pro cleaner and let it sit over night. the fluid was very dark the next day. Its the crud you cant see that can get ya.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

All the paper test told you was it was tight in a particular spot. If you were to smoke up the bbl with a kerosense lamp, carefully reassemble the gun without the breech faces touching (forend included), then gently close the gun until it locks, re-open the gun, you would see if there is contact all the way around the top chamber and half way around the bottom.

I still think the angles are just too close.

10. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

I bet the forearm is too tight like 99% of the new Brownings. JMO If they are hand fit they must use a mallet to get the forearm on some of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gunsmithing the citori shotgun