1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori Gunsmith advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrton80, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrton80

jrton80 Member

I have a very early model Browing Citori Combo set that I purchased somewhere around 1980-81 and shot probably 10-15K rounds through it. I developed a problem where when I shot the gun, sometimes the action would open. I could feel the cocking lever move like it was just opening by itself. The cocking lever is slightly right of center when closed. The action seems very tight otherwise. My question is, is this most likely just needing the springs replaced on the cocking lever and is that fairly easy to accomplish? I have seen the springs advertised on TS.com but I don't know if this is something I should attempt myself. I am very mechanically minded and have no problems working on my loaders, cars or most anything mechanical. I, like most trapshotters have many more toys to shoot, but I thought I should maybe fix this one that has been the safe the last 20 years or so. Thanks for any guidance.

Jeff Rickert

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Art's in Mo. rebuilt mine. Great job, quick turn around. Highly recommended on this site. I don't have the contact info any more but someone on here will.

JON

3. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The guy that can probably asnwer you questions is a gunsmith and makes/sells springs for most production guns.

Give Jim Flynn an email and ask him your questions.

Jim's email: jdfgunfixr@gmail.com

Kevin

4. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

The guy in Missouri is Art Isaacson, 636-944-3630. He does very good work. I believe he used to work for Browning but is now on his own. Bob

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

The wifes Citori would open after she shot, she had gotten it used from her fathers friend. Turned out I had OVER lubed the action(my mistake not have delt with these types of guns before) But it was only a matter of cleaning the excess lube off and its been great ever since. Chris V. also told me the same thing guns with 15000 shells unless abused are infact just getting broke in, my Xt has 2000 threw it from August till now. Her fixed was only $50 with new spring for good measure.

Jerry

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- First figure out if the gun has a weak spring or if the lug is worn. Close the gun and and apply pressure to the stock and barrel and see if you can detect any very slight movement between the barrel and receiver. You might also place a thin piece of paper (cigarette paper) at the top of the receiver and see if the gun will close (it should not close). If there is some play between the barrel and the receiver, the lug needs to be replaced.

Replacing the spring and refitting a new lug is not complicated, but the lug will test your patience. If it is the first one you have done, it will probably require taking the gun apart, a few file strokes, reassembling the gun and doing this around 20 times.

Pat Ireland

7. jrton80

jrton80 Member

Thanks for all your advice. The responses are exactly what I was hoping for and I'll try to post to let you know how it turns out. Jeff Rickert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

art isaacson gunsmith

citori gunsmith