1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori Firing Pin

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gary Waalkes, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The same effort as in a new Citori. the big effort is taking off the buttstock and then re-installing the hammer springs (taking them out is easy).

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Gary,

Unless something has changed, it is not necessary to remove or replace the hammer springs.

Just be sure the hammers are cocked when you remove the buttstock. Then punch out the small retaining pin that holds the firing pin and return spring in place.

Remove the old pin and replace with the new one. Reinstall the retaining pin and you're done.

It's a good idea to clean out the hole while you have the old pin out of there. You might as well replace the return spring too since it costs very little and takes no extra time.

Easystreet

3. Gary Waalkes

I always felt more comfortable without a cocked hammer and offers a good oppertunity to put in new mainsprings. (as a final touch, put in a new locking spring also before putting the stock back on)

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Before you do anything, look at the breech face. If it has a threaded plug where the pins come out the front, as in the BT-99, then you have the old model Citori. Parts are not widely available. It takes a special tool and an impact driver to remove the plug, if it will come out at all. :^(

If your gun does not have two or three holes around each firing pin, you have the newer model and the above post applies. :^)

I also suggest new mainsprings and top lever spring.

5. Gary Waalkes

Coach - that IS "older". Brownells used to sell the tool for the BT-99s, don't know if they still do or not.

6. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

I just checked mine a few days ago. Dont drive the pin that retains the firing pins in the receiver all the way out- just enough for the firing pin and spring to be removed. If you dont drive it all the way out, it'll be very easy to tap back into place.

I think Brownell's has everything you'll ned to work on these guns.

Happy New Year!

-Pat

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I've never had any trouble replacing the retaining pin, but you do have to remember one thing. The pin (and the hole it goes in) is TAPERED.

That means that when removing it, punch it out from the small end of the pin toward the big end of the pin. When replacing it, put the small end of the pin in the big end of the hole and then punch it through. It goes in a lot easier that way. :)

Easystreet

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The firing pin retaining pins go RIGHT TO LEFT. Easy job.

9. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"The firing pin retaining pins go RIGHT TO LEFT. Easy job."</blockquote>

According to the link in the second post, the pins go out in opposite directions:

<blockquote>"4 Tap out the upper and lower firing pin retainer pins with a small punch and hammer. The upper pin is driven out from the right side of the receiver and the lower pin is driven out from the left side as viewed from the rear."</blockquote>

Carol Lister

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I got my spring kit for my XT from J&P custom springs top lever main/hammer springs and fire pin spring. pins ordered from browning. not to bad. I bought some cheapo screw drivers and mini pliers. bend grind reshape at will to make custom tools. Lack of and loss of trusting smiths in my area. Considering gunsmith schooling?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning 725 upper firing pin malfunction
browning citori firing pin citori firing pin
browning citori firing pin removal

browning citori firing pins

how to change firing pin in browning citori
replacing firing pins on citori
use a harder firing pin in citori 725
which way are browning firing pins driven out