1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

citori fails to fire bottom barrell intermitently

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SHUCK, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHUCK

SHUCK TS Member

Bought a used browning xt ultra guess its about 10 years old. The bottom barrel fails to fire maybe every 25 to 50 shots. even when its selected to shoot first. Should i replace the firing pin and spring and is it difficult to remove. Thanks Tony L

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Assuming the unfired barrel is being cocked:

I would try pulling the buttstock off, and then using Gumout Carb or Brake Cleaner, hose down the action and blow dry several times with high pressure air. Then light oil with a spray such as Slick 50 One Lube or TriFlo.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Also check the business end for cratering. Citori's are noted fo this, and the longer pin is a good fix. but a clean gun helps too.

HM

4. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

While you are replacing the firing pin clean the gun. Post-2

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I've replaced a firing pin and spring twice on a Browning.

The second time the firing pin was on back order, so I replaced the spring just to see and the gun worked 100%.

So, it may not always be the firing pin that is the problem...

In any case, putting the spring back in is a pain unless you have the Y shaped spring tool remover/inserter. Don't have the name handly at the moment. I purchased one from Brownell's.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's either the firing pin or hammer spring. The firing pins are easy to change. Clean the gun and if the pin does not work get a hammerspring and take it to someone who knows how to change them.
    Joe

7. OK_Shooter

OK_Shooter TS Member

Had the same problem (only with Fiocchi primers) on my XS Skeet. I replaced the lower firing pin and replaced the hammer spring with a Wolff high-power spring and it didn't help. Switched back to Win primers and the problem went away...I thought saving 6 bucks a thousand on primers was a good deal...I was wrong.

Phil

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Tony,

Firing pins are easy to replace. Hammer springs are somewhat tougher to replace, particularly if you don't have the right tool.

Anyway, here is what I would suggest. Remove the firing pin for the lower barrel by punching out the firing pin retaining pin. Then remove the firing pin and the spring that keeps the lower pin retracted.

Clean out the hole that the firing pin goes in. Sometimes it accumulates metal shavings and thick oil that slows the firing pin. Clip two coils off the return spring, then reassemble. That may cure the problem. If not, you can always replace the firing pin later.

My last course of action would be to replace the hammer spring for the lower barrel. This is because it seldom is the cause of the misfire, and also because it is a bit more work.

The problem more likely than not is related to the firing pin..... or perhaps primers which are seated too deep.

Easystreet

9. ken a

ken a Member

One thing when it fails to fire you will find out if you flinch or not. When I bought my first citori(1980) they tried everything and finally sent it back to Browning and eventually sent me a new gun. It also wouldn't fire the bottom barrel.

10. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

I'd replace the firing pin spring in the bottom barrel. If the firing pin is rusty, I'd clean it up or replace it, too. It's not too hard, just drive out the retaining pin for the bottom firing pin, pushing it out just enough to remove the firing pin and spring.

-Pat

11. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but on a BC the firing pin spring only serves to retract the firing pin and has nothing to do with the actual firing process. The hammer spring causes the hammer to fall on to the firing pin thus causing the pin to move forword. If the firing pin retracts and allows the closing of the gun with out the firing pin causing a obstruction then the spring is OK. lengthening of the firing pin should solve the problem as long as it remains in spec. Post-2

12. bill2

bill2 Member

Shuck, I had the same problem with a used XT. I called Arts in Missouri and he told me to send it to him. I took it to my local Browning dealer they put it in a special Browning box,shipped it to Art/Browning. Was fixed free and back to the dealer in two weeks. All I paid was the 25.00 for insurance and shipping. Not one problem from that day on. R/Bill2

13. Easystreet

Post 2,

Actually, the firing pin return spring DOES have something to do with the actual firing process. It slows the forward speed and therefore the momentum of the firing pin. The less momentum the firing pin has, the less likelihood that it will hit the primer hard enough to ignite it.

This means that the stronger the firing pin return spring is, the weaker the hit of the firing pin on the primer. That's why I suggested clipping two coils off that spring. I had the exact same problem with my Browning 525 and I clipped off a little more than two coils and haven't had the problem since.

Easystreet

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Easystreet. I would agree with you but if the firing pin spring is that strong I'd bet it is the wrong spring. Firing pin springs have very little poundage and should not inhibit the foreword movement of the pin. You should not have to cut any correct factory installed BC spring. Post-2

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If the firing pin spring is broken, it won't always hold the firing pin back far enough for the hammer to strike it firmly.

I had this problem.

a new firing pin spring fixed it.

16. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I had the same exact problem. It would happen 2 or 3 times, then would be fine for a while. Once it happened three shells in a row, good thing it was practice. I thought no way was that bad primers. The pin was hitting the primer but it appeared the hits were light.

I took off the stock, put some Shooter's Choice FP-10 in the firing pin hole and through the back end. I worked it in several times and out came of bunch of black crud with the oil. I cleaned and repeated 6 or 7 times until the oil ran out clean. Haven't had a problem since. Looks like something I'll have to do every 3000 rounds or so.

17. 410Ed

410Ed TS Member

Send shotgun to Briley to convert triggers from inertial to mechanical. End of problem. Been there....done that and all the rest. You want reliability...mechanical triggers!
    410ed

18. Easystreet

Mechanical triggers don't cause the firing pin to hit the primer any harder than inertia triggers.

Easystreet

19. Easystreet

Tony L (SHUCK),

How about letting us know if you got the problem fixed? Update please.

Thanks,

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

my browning citori bottom barrel will not fore all the time