1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori Extractors

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have 4 Citori's and I'm not happy with the extractors on at least 2 of them. The extractors don't lift the shell high enough off the barrel face to ensure complete disengagement of the hull or ease of plucking them out. With so many hulls today having steel bases they tend to require more power for disengagement of the hull base. I don't care if the springs remain in place and have lots of power as I catch the hulls when I open the gun anyway. I just want the hulls to lift well clear of the barrel face. Any ideas?

2. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I had the same problem with a browning xt. I replaced the ejector pins and problem solved. Got them from brownell's about $14 each. Very easy install, replaced firing pins and main springs while in there.

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Extractors or Ejectors???

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

When you open your gun...without firing it, The ejectors/extractors will raise about 3/16". It's done mechanically, not with any spring help. 3/16" is all you'll get.

Opening the gun AFTER firing it, the ejector sear will trip the hammers in the forend, and the hammers will strike the backside of the ejectors, sending the ejectors rearward.

Are you having problems before or after you fire the gun?

Doug

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Both Doug. I'm not getting 3/16, especially on my 20 ga. Just enough to hook the rim from another cartridge under the live one and pull it out, about 1/16 from the barrel face although it might be 3/16 from the recessed rim cut face. The extraction just isn't robust enough to push out a case that's a bit tight, either fired or un-fired reloads in for instance, a Fed game case. My 20 ga especially isn't ejecting fired and un-fired Fed game cases and the darn thing is near new. The 20 ga cases are sizing at .695 and Mec says.699 so they are right there. Any way to change anything to gain more extraction heighth? It looks like they really need about 1/4" from the barrel face to ensure robust extraction of tight cases. I'm sure steel shotshell bases have something to do with it but those are the low pressure cases I like to use.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Quote--" My 20 ga especially isn't ejecting fired and un-fired Fed game cases"

The gun will not EJECT an unfired case, unless you had a misfire. (DB)

As I posted earlier, the EXTRACTION of a case is strictly mechanical. There are tabs on the ejector extentions that cam in a slot on the inside of the receiver. There could be a possiblity that the tabs are too short, so that when the gun opens, the ejectors (during the extraction phase) are not pushed up far enough. This would be somehing I would have to look personally at.

For the ejection part....Steel base ammo is, well....steel base ammo. Everyone (almost) is having problems. With the ejection system of the Citori, it's highly likely you would have less problems with ammo sticking in the chamber. This is because of the striking of the ejector hammers on the back of the ejector extentions. It's a little more forceful than the system where the ejector is tripped with an ejector sear.

Could newer ejector hammer springs work? Maybe. The Wolff Spring Co. does make a stout ejector hammer spring for the Citori. It woud be worth the12 bucks to give them a try.

You can find them here....(copy and paste the whole line)

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=25483&st=969000179AB&s=49748

One last thing, and you will here this over and over...be sure the chamber is clean ans smooth.....no plastic, dirt, flash rust, or machine tool marks.

Doug Braker

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Are they really sticking? How about some Wolf springs, they are stronger than the OEM. Something tells me you have a function problem. ejector lifters are not moving freely? As stated, unfired it will only lift the hull, fired it will eject it. My XT will eject my snap cap.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks guys, now that I have some idea how the system works I'll examine it to see if I can see what might be causing the problem. I'm aware that they won't eject an unfired shell but they should lift it high enough to where it lets go of the chamber and one can get hold of it, even with gloves on in my opinion. The chambers look and feel smooth and I recently coated them with Militek grease but it didn't help. I put Wolff firing pin springs in my XT Trap and that solved all those problems.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you open your gun, all the way. No shells in it. That is as high as ejector arm is going to go period, mechanically that is. Check that distance. then load a shell close and reopen. if it is not the same hieght you have something hanging up. If it is not ejecting a empty hull. Thats another problem. Are you positive the gun is opening all the way. I had a friend who for a long time his citori just didnt seem to open all the way. one day he pinched his hand when closing the action, he then put his glove on. Thats when he noticed a very small chunk of his glove was missing. right in the same place he got pinched. Sure enough after a super clean and a small pick, he pulled a thin piece, I mean just a slither of out of the ?locking bolt area? on the reciever. just enough to cause a few problems.

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I think maybe the chambers are a touch tight in the 20. I just cranked down on the collett on the 8567, can't even see the difference on the dial caliper, but it was just enough to make the gun extract and eject properly. Maybe the solution isn't to mess with the gun after all. Life is good LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.