1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori Experts - what is this ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Citori experts - I am looking at an older Browning o/u in a nearby shop that is advertised as "skeet". The gun has a 30" high rib target barrel with no porting, threaded chokes, and monte carlo stock. Probably made in early to mid 80's. Could this really be a skeet model ... or is it a trap ? How can you tell for sure ? thanks !

ps and since I am asking, what did Browning do to differentiate the models ... with regard to POA vs POI. Were all the high-rib target barrels made "the same" and it was only the buttstock that made the difference for how high they shot ? This has got me wondering.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That's real funny. If there are no choke tubes, check the markings.

Skeet choke is **S, FYI

If there are tubes they should have 5 notches.

Sounds like a "dealer" from the short bus.

HM

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

"skeet" is often a generic name for clay target shooting. Most people don't know that it's a separate sport from trap, sporting clays, etc.

Your gun is probably a trap gun.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Browning never offered a fixed choke 30" skeet gun, and never offered a skeet gun with a MC stock. Its not a skeet gun.

5. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Thanks skeet - thats kinda what I was thinking .... but glad to get a 2nd opinion.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

That is a Citori Trap gun with Invector chokes. You can find out for sure by checking the serial number on the Browning website. Mark

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The skeet guns had the same rib, but had 26" barrels, and did not include a MC stock. I shot my best skeet score (23) with a 32" Citori trap, and it was the first time I ever shot skeet. Should have seen the look on the skeet boys faces that I was shooting with. Especially when I told them it was my first time shooting skeet. The two I missed, where the center station right behind the trap.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What are the serial numbers? A 12 ga. Skeet will have JB3, Special Skeet Grade 1 TB3, Special Skeet Grade 3 UB3, Golden Clays Skeet VB3.

Wayne

9. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

With the 30" bbl and Monte Carlo, it was probably a Trap model. The high rib, however, is just about the same as a Skeet model, and the Monte Carlo would be a plus for me. Most Citori I shoulder I cannot see either bead, and I need the added height. It could be a superb Skeet gun, especially if the price is right. And if you get it and find the comb too high, I'll swap a non-Monte Carlo stock with you.

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

With the new standard being longer barrels for skeet, I am having an older Citori with 30" fixed M/F chokes, bored out to Skeet/Skeet. I'm anxiuous to try shooting it. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.