1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori Experts - what is this ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Citori experts - I am looking at an older Browning o/u in a nearby shop that is advertised as "skeet". The gun has a 30" high rib target barrel with no porting, threaded chokes, and monte carlo stock. Probably made in early to mid 80's. Could this really be a skeet model ... or is it a trap ? How can you tell for sure ? thanks !

ps and since I am asking, what did Browning do to differentiate the models ... with regard to POA vs POI. Were all the high-rib target barrels made "the same" and it was only the buttstock that made the difference for how high they shot ? This has got me wondering.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That's real funny. If there are no choke tubes, check the markings.

Skeet choke is **S, FYI

If there are tubes they should have 5 notches.

Sounds like a "dealer" from the short bus.

HM

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

"skeet" is often a generic name for clay target shooting. Most people don't know that it's a separate sport from trap, sporting clays, etc.

Your gun is probably a trap gun.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Browning never offered a fixed choke 30" skeet gun, and never offered a skeet gun with a MC stock. Its not a skeet gun.

5. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Thanks skeet - thats kinda what I was thinking .... but glad to get a 2nd opinion.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

That is a Citori Trap gun with Invector chokes. You can find out for sure by checking the serial number on the Browning website. Mark

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

The skeet guns had the same rib, but had 26" barrels, and did not include a MC stock. I shot my best skeet score (23) with a 32" Citori trap, and it was the first time I ever shot skeet. Should have seen the look on the skeet boys faces that I was shooting with. Especially when I told them it was my first time shooting skeet. The two I missed, where the center station right behind the trap.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What are the serial numbers? A 12 ga. Skeet will have JB3, Special Skeet Grade 1 TB3, Special Skeet Grade 3 UB3, Golden Clays Skeet VB3.

Wayne

9. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

With the 30" bbl and Monte Carlo, it was probably a Trap model. The high rib, however, is just about the same as a Skeet model, and the Monte Carlo would be a plus for me. Most Citori I shoulder I cannot see either bead, and I need the added height. It could be a superb Skeet gun, especially if the price is right. And if you get it and find the comb too high, I'll swap a non-Monte Carlo stock with you.

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

With the new standard being longer barrels for skeet, I am having an older Citori with 30" fixed M/F chokes, bored out to Skeet/Skeet. I'm anxiuous to try shooting it. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.