1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori Ejector Hammer Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rem870TB, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

My 2005 manufacture 12g Citori Lightning wil not re-cock or re-set the bottom barrel ejector hammer when the gun is opened.

I discovered this while checking it out after a few months of storage, with snap caps.

The gun was in the fired conditon with caps in, it ejected them both when I opened it, then I had this experience with the lower ejector.

- bottom ejector stays out.

- install snap caps, close the gun

- both hammers cock as they should on opening, it will do this repeatedly, that works fine

- both barrels fire normally, it will also do this repeatedly, that works fine, too.

- open the gun, top barrel ejects the cap, bottom barrel snap cap is raised to the "ejected" position (higher than an unfired ejector lifts and unfired shell).

- gun closes OK

- I can cock the bottom ejector hammer by hand, carefully using a small piece of wood with the forearm off the gun

History of the gun; it is as new. I bought this 2005 manufacture gun NIB in the spring of 2007 to "play with" on my rare viits to skeet and sporting clays clubs (Since trap is my full time game).

I am the original owner, the gun has fired no more than 500 rounds.

I can not detect any damaged internal surfaces or anything that is broken.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

does this model have the selector switch ? Try selecting the bottom barrel first to fire if so. Sounds to me as if the pin that trips the ejector is either not working corectly or the ejector sear/hammer thing is not catching.

Are you sure you are opening the gun completely,

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"does this model have the selector switch ?"

- If you mean the barrel selector/safety, yes.

"Try selecting the bottom barrel first to fire if so."

Already did that, numerous times, top first, bottom first, fired both, fired one only; all the same result, top ejector works fine, bottom does not.

"Are you sure you are opening the gun completely,"

Absolutely, fully open.

"Sounds to me as if the pin that trips the ejector is either not working corectly or the ejector sear/hammer thing is not catching."

- My speculation is that the surface of the B1334136 Ejector Sear that engages the Ejector Hammer needs to be either very slightly re-shaped or shortened by a few .001"

It may be something different all together.

I have never seen one do this so I expect it is not a common thing with them.

I expect this will mean a trip to someone that knows what they are doing as far as Citori's go, I was just hoping to get an idea of what we wuld be dealing with. I think the rod or the sear is the likely culprit.

It is odd the gun did work fine, has few rounds through it and suddenly, there is a problem. While most experiences differ from mine, it remains in the past 40 years, I have not had very good luck with Brownings. :(

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Make sure nothing is under ejector, like a piece of shot, and check top lever for normal closed position. If lever does not return to normal closed position, remove shot or other material from ejector(s) and recheck function. If so,,,

Tighten forend screws securely, but not excessively. Recheck ejector function. If ejector hammer does not cock,

Remove barrel, and attach forend with problem ejector extended. Push ejector into barrel with wooden block. If ejector does not cock, return firearm to factory.

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Just shooting in the dark here...

The Browning GPS has a "feature" and you can set it to extract instead of eject. The way you do this is to move the ejector hammer. Toward the muzzle is extract and toward the stock is eject (or visa versa).

I was just wondering if your gun had the same thing. Just thinking out loud...

I found some pics. This is the eject position:

100_2742.jpg

This is the extract position:

100_2744.jpg

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I second the "crud somewhere" , If this was purchased new and was not fully cleaned.....remove the stock. Browning uses some anti corrosion gunk that can really gum up with time.

7. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

The gun is really clean but I will check for some stray piece of crud and loose screws, etc.; all these things are certainly possible, even if not readily visible.

Returning it to Browning is not an option since I am in Canada, Browning has an office in Motreal, I know personally that since 1980, they have not been a paragon of customer service. They usually tell you the three "don't's"

1.) They DON'T know much about the guns.

2.) They DON'T care that they don't know much about the guns.

3.) They DON'T care about your problem.

.....and usually follow up with "You must have modified your gun"

Rastoff, this is the "base model" Citori Lightning, unlike the some of the target models, there no optional setting.

I am beginning to wonder if the Ejector Trip Rod is just a few .001" too short, if it isn't a crud or dried preservative problem. I can replace an Ejector Trip Rod IF it doesn't need fitting (which I suspect it would); I don't do fitting, I know my limitations ;)

8. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

It appears to have been "dirt in the fuel line", or actually, a lack of lube.

This is the first time I have had it apart and it was very dry in there.

I checked the rods and they seem to move properly but where the rod for the bottom barrel contacts the hammer and screw was bone dry.

I gave it a very few drops of Browning oil (did not drench it) and it appears to be functioning properly. I want to see if this continues before total success is declared.

While the stock is off it, it is getting a careful, light lube.

Thanks to everyone who replied, the collective thought process helped eliminate some theoretical causes and helped sort out the likely cause.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Im going to steal a line from my dad....."having problems with your gun there?...did ya clean it?" "when you think its clean do it again"

another line from him....."to much oil can be just as bad as a filthy gun, to much oil makes a gun filthy"

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A cheap fix! Keep your gun serviced. If you don't know how, ask some one who does.

Proper service can easily double or triple intervals between major service. Apparently, you are not in a region where this is easily done. :^(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning citori ejector trip rods

browning gti ejector springs

citori ejector spring system
ejector trip rod replacement browning citori