1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Citori cannot open after firing?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by myevh3, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

Citori Expert Help Needed.

I have been shooting my XT Trap for about 7500 rounds now without a flaw. Today while shooting, 3 times out of 125 rounds, after I fired the top barrel and pushed the lever to the right to crack open the barrels, it was locked and would not open. I had to remove the forearm and jimmy things around a bit and finally it would open. What could be the cause of this? I was shooting cheap Wal-Mart Winchester target ammo. The gun is tight and have never had any problems. What should I inspect to locate what might be causing it? It is tough to replicate.

Thanks in advance.

~Matt

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Broken firing pin??

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What did the primer in the fired round look like?

If there was a pierced primer and the pin did not retract, your gun would not open.

HM

4. Borderland

Borderland Member

Same thing happen w/brass base hulls ?? Maybe your XT does not like the fired fit of the steel base hulls

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yes, examine the firing pins and note which barrel you were using. If it does it with one barrel and not the other that gives you a clue. If it does it with both barrels, then it is something common to both barrels, possibly the ammo itself as Borderland said.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have a '06 XT that does that... for some reason the recoil from the top barrel sets the locking bar deeper into the barrel and the lever won't move...easily.

A good smith could probably fix it but I just don't shoot the top barrel of that gun.

MK

7. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

Could you be slamming the barrels shut causing the locking lug to seize in the notch on the back of the barrels. Try medium heavy grease on the lug(flat bar that fits into grove in barrel) and inside the grove. With a newer gun and tight tolerances the parts in question will seize a little. Browning actually recommends you ride the locking lever with your thumb when closing the action to prevent the lever slamming to the left,causing excessive wear,and creating the problem you discribed. Hope this helps. Jim

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My Dad NEVER closed his SxS without letting the lever down with his thumb. He said he didn't want to wear it out.

He bought it in 1928. I still have it and it shoots fine, and the action will cut a hair when you close it. Not bad for a 28 dollar gun.

HM

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Keep a light layer of oil on the lug and KEEP IT CLEAN and you won't have to worry about wearing it out.

MK

10. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Probably the lower firing pin sticking in the fired position. there is a good discussion with pics and instructions on how to remove and clean the firingpin hole on the xt. while your in there check the spring and make sure it is not broken. the firing pin sticking in the fired position will keep the gun from opening. go to the other trap forum and you will find the info that you seek

Bob

ps removing the firing pin is a really simple operation and once you have done it the first time to learn only takes about 10 min to complete.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

MK probably nailed it. Does it lock-up with that ammo in the bottom barrel?

Try a little clean grease on the locking lug. That should help short-term. If it does, long term it needs the lug and the slot where it fits in the monoblock polished up.

Dunno why the lug is more prone to lock-up when the top barrel if fired.

12. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I had a Charles Daly O/U that had this problem. Turned out that the end of the firing pin, (the end that strikes the primer) was mushroomed slightly. The firing pin would get stuck in the primer, after firing, and would not allow the gun to open easily. I could see where the firing pin was dragging on the base of the shell as the gun opened. I had the end of the firing pin dressed up to remove the mushroom, and the gun worked properly.

13. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. Here is some more detail on the problem. The problem occured in the top barrel only. Regarding the greese and lub advice. I'm kind of freak when it comes to lubing the gun. After every day of shooting the gun gets cleaned (bore, receiver) wiped out with solvent and compressed air. I then add light gun oil to the ejectors and gun grease to the hinge pin and area where receiver meets the forearm metal. Yesterday I took the gun back out and with the same ammo shot another 300 rounds and this time had no problems. I'm wonder if it was a bad box of ammo? I'm going to pull the firing pins and and make sure everythings look OK.

~Matt

14. epmn

epmn TS Member

I have an o/u that had that problem at one point. What I found to be the problem is that a little burr had been lifted at the firing pin hole. When the shell was fired it would push back onto the burr and make opening the action extremely difficult. Since it was a hunting gun it was worse with pheasant loads. It would only do it on the one barrel and not every time. A little stoning of the firing pin hole and it hasn't done it since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning 725 opening lever wont move

browning citori opens after firing

shotgun wont open after firing

trouble opening browning citori after firing