1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Circulating Pump For Shotmaker Cooling System...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Ok, we have a Jim Stewart shotmaker on the way, which by the way, Mr. Stewart is one of greatest people I've ever dealt with. We are getting ready to set up our cooling system, so far this is what we have. 2 large ammo cans, one to drop shot into and one for an over-flow tank. A small radiator of some kind to push coolant through. Our coolant of choice is low-tox anti-freeze. Now the only thing we're stumped on is what type of pump to get, what is a good GPM rating, and what is the approximate price range for one that will last. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Josh.

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A lot of the biodiesel guys are having good luck with the inexpensive pumps from Harbor Freight.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I haven't tried one but don't know why the 500 GPH through hull pump as used on a fish holding tank won't work. They are pretty cheap but don't know how they would hold up with AF. Jackie B.

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

They (Thru hull pumps) won't work because they aren't designed to move liquids with temperatures that high. They might for a little while, but they will fail.

Jeff

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thanks for the information guys. We've been looking around on the internet and can't seem to find where we can get a Procon pump. What GPH/GPM rated pump do you use Ajax? We were thinking in the 6-10 GPM range? Thanks, Josh.

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Watch ebay. They are on there all the time. You want a series 4 at least. The lower ones won't deliver the flow you want.

Jeff

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Ok Jeff, my next question would be; what GPH/GPM rating would you suggest, the procon Series 4 is rated anywhere from 2 GPM to 5.5 GPM. I don't know, but 2 sounds a little slow. Thanks, Josh.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Do a search for Procon at the above link. Graiger's carries a good many of them. They would usually be a "positive displacement" type of pump. There are also sveral "coolant" pumps that are designed to pump hot fluids. They are listed at Grainger's as well, under various manufacturers.

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

This is the matrix off of the Procon website. You should be able to tell from this exactly what type of pump someone has for sale if they will read you the nubers off of it. Our pump probably delivers about 4-5 gpm. For the set up we use, it is marginal. When our coolant was allowed to overflow the revervoir from the top, it worked fine. We just let the recervoir fill up with shot for a while then had to stop production and empty the shot out and start it up again. When we switched to a bottom discharge of both coolant and shot, it is very sensitive to viscocity of the coolant. If you use a coolant that gets too thin at 120 degrees, the fluid will push out of the discharge hole at the botom of the tank faster than the pump can replace it. I solved the problem by slowly reducing the discharge hole to the point where it reliably lets the shot and coolant pass through at a rate the pump can recover from and still let the occasional pice of flattened buckshot through too. I use a pice of mesh gutter guard at the bottom of the tank to catch any stringers or severely oversized pieces that would clog the .40 discharge hole. I started with a 338 mag case that I had run through a 35 cal expander die then a 375 expander die and finally a 40 cal expander die. I cut the head of the case off just abouve the belt and then flared it in a flaring tool. The case is then inserted neck down into a piece of clear poly tubing which is a perfect press fit inside the 1/2 black pipe I used for plumbing. One other thing we needed to do was press a piece of the poly tubing in from the bottom of the discharge tube to create more resistance to keep the fluid from running out too fast above 120 degrees. Without that other piece of tubing, the pump will not keep up. Live and learn. The one thing we did not consider is the increase in head pressure on the bottom discharge hole from 8 gallons of coolant pushing against that little hole. Lots of trial and error but in the end, it works pretty good.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cooling forcooling lead shoot maker