1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CIL Paper Hulls

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by gdkmedic, Mar 20, 2017.

1. gdkmedic

gdkmedic TS Member

I have acquired 2000 CIL low base paper hulls. These are around 35 years old and are in great shape. Can I load these like a Federal paper? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

What sort of base wad do the hulls have? High or low?

3. chipped99

chipped99 Well-Known Member

I need a picture of one of these hulls. I don't know what they are or what they look like. Lets see one!!!

Mr. Pump Gun thanked this.
  4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The ones I shot had a low base paper wad. Some of the later cases had a plastic wrap on the outer cover.

Yes, you can load them like Federal but the 12s3 may not be tall enough. You may have to use the 12s0 to get a nice crimp.

5. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

First item to check is primer pocket size. Iam thinking they used an oversized primer such as the Alcan 220. But can't remember for sure.

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

PM Remember the hunting loads, the brass came up about a quarter of the shell.

7. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Vaguely. We had one hardware store that sold them. The folks went there quite a bit but don't remember them buying me many of these.

I liked Federals better.