1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CICERO NY swamp

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Do you need rubber boots/hip waters to shoot Cicero Ny. Understand its in a swamp? LOL

2. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Yes. It absolutely is in a swamp. Bring rain gear and mud shoes.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Must be mosquito city up there.

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Its not that bad BUT GOD seems to make it rain real good at some point during the week of the shoots

5. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

To clarify, the gounds do sit on the edge of Ciciero swamp. Given some extreme rains like we had in '06 during the state shoot, flooding can happen. With this being said, it is no different than any other club when normal rains happen. You can get standing water & mud so it is always best to have the appropriate foot wear for all occasions. Much as been done over the years to help with drainage & things are much better than in the old days. I don't think anything more than regular duck boots or Gore Tex shoes are in order for those rainy days. Our campsite is #113 & the back of our RV is litteraly about 15 feet from the drop off into the swamp & we don't have any trouble.

Now, as for the "skeeters", the are alive & well! Big suckers too! As you get near the evening hours they seem to get hungry so come prepared for these little monsters! :)

6. seitz647

seitz647 Member

Only if your a skeet shooter and don't want to get your dress wet LOL JM

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I depends. I went there one time and took a little walk through the 'swamp. The darn thing was really dry and the frog population scarce. Other times a good pair of high boots was barely adaquate for shooting. I pulled out of that place a few years ago when it never seemed to stop raining and I left my canoe at home.

It's a place that has interesting weather!!

8. rpeerless

Would go there again. The food was good and the people memorable.

9. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Empire Grand May 8-12...Would be prudent to bring snow shoes. Yes, we shot in snow one year.

I would highly recommend taking along a pair of knee high boots. I am not trying to put Cicero down, but the lay of the land, and the difficult to predict weather, makes knee highs a must..Error on the side of caution.

In May you never know, could be 30 degrees or could be 80. That's NY weather !

Dave in SC

10. 6chuter

6chuter Member

What part of NY is it located?

11. rpeerless

The best part of New York IMHO.

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"In May you never know, could be 30 degrees or could be 80. That's NY weather ! "

It was in the 30s this morning, and is forecast to be in the mid to high 70s a couple times this week LOL.

13. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

The NYS ATA Home Grounds is located in central NY near Syracuse.
    The weather can vary in May but it is not necessary to bring knee high boots unless you look good in them ;>)

14. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

The weather may not be the best some times, but we make up for it with good targets to shoot and good folk!

15. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Yes, what Puablo said is very true! The weather can be fickle, but the targets are GREAT & so are the people. I would have quit years ago if it were not for the wonderful people I have come to know over the years. Going to the big shoots at our home grounds is all I do for my vacation time & look forward to every thing except leaving on Sunday night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.