1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Churchill Method of Gun Fitting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeeljc, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I understand the Churchill method of changing the point of impact involves shooting on a steel pattern plate at 16 yards to determine the point of impact compared to the point of aim (where you are looking). The formula is for each inch the point of impact is to be moved the stock needs to be altered by 1/16 of an inch. I assume that you take the 1/16" off of the entire length of the comb.

My question is if you are going to have the stock bent how much do you bend it to adjust the point of impact by 1"?

Jim Skeel

2. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

In theory, 1/16. I bend stocks and, IMHO, I wouldn't do it for 1". Most stock benders would be happy to get the POI within an inch after the bend and you are there to begin with. We can't point a shotgun within the two inches of error you are trying to correct for at 32 yards.
    Dave

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

So if my gun is shooting 8" high and 4" left it needs to be bent down 1/2" and right 1/4"? All measurements at the heel.

Jim Skeel

4. autogun

autogun Member

I think the 1/16 per inch of change at 16 yds is 1/16 at the face- usually about
    2 1/2 to 3 inches back from the comb. It will take more at the heel to get that much at the face. Good luck.
    David Vandercoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

churchill method of patterning a shotgun