1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

chrysler

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ricks1, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

just heard that chrysler has shut down all plants there goes ? union jobs

2. BMC

BMC Member

I believe the automakers normally shut down for two weeks for the holidays. Chrysler says they are shutting down for a four weeks, but the workers will be paid 95% of their usual wages. A month off with pay ain't such a bad deal.

3. gncc600

gncc600 TS Member

Most do shutdown for 2 weeks but they are shutting down 30 plants for month of January. Probably in an attempt to by some time till the taxpayers give them some money to flush down their toilet. But like BMC said they will get 95% of their pay to set at home so don't feel too bad for them. The ones I feel bad for are the people who work for the suppliers who make various parts for them like seats, components, etc.... They make as low as $9 an hour on up depending on who they work for. They wont be getting UAW benefits while they are laid off. Just like most people who get laid off. But hey the reason they didn't get their bailout money in this last congress session was the UAW. They refused to accept a wage cut until after their contract expires in 2011. My question is why should we as taxpayers have to help them when they are unwilling to help themselves?

4. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I see no reason for tax payers (you and me) to pay for the Union wages while they are laid off! They need to sign up for unemployment just like every on else does - that should help those rising unemployment figures you hear on TV. the beav

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Alot of people have a problem with the blue collar with a lunch pail making $30 an hour. Your tax dollars, billions of them went to wall street and their giving out 10's of billions in bonus's this year. This is on top of there $100,000 salary.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Chrysler got killed in the late 1970's when they suddenly had a 100 year supply of Newport’s. The bailout allowed Chrysler to bring some new products to market including the K-cars and the Caravan. They became profitable and viable until Lee Iacocca retired and they merged with Daimler Benz.

Today, Chrysler is in a ditch again but not all of it is Chrysler’s fault.

It is hard to sell a car if the buyer cannot get financing. The $4 a gallon gas caused buyers to shift away from larger cars and trucks and this left Chrysler with a huge supply of large vehicles. Now that gas is under $2 a gallon, many buyers who desire a larger vehicle cannot get financing.

I cannot see where a stimulus package to build roads and bridges will help in the short term. Longer term yes, but the next two years IMO will be horrible.

When Toyota cuts capacity and delays a Prius plant, everybody is in trouble.

Ed Ward

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I am a college graduate and I retired from a management position at a large company. However, I wouldn’t knock blue collar work. Before I gradated from college, I worked on an assembly line in a paint factory. The work was hot, hard and when the line was running, there was no slacking. Try stacking 5 gallon cans of paint for a while or stacking 4 gallon paint cartons onto pallets for a day

In the management world, especially in the 1970’s and early 1980’s, lots of people made good money for very little work. We sat at air conditioned desks and engaged in endless meetings that at times seemed to go nowhere. We worked 35 hours a week.

Things tightened up in the management world in the late 1980’s. Staff cuts meant more work for each individual and 10 hour days were the norm. As a manager, I had to reduce staff and that is never pleasant.

Blue collar workers bust their humps, most days, and add value. I cannot see anything positive many of the Wall Street types have done lately. They have made business, IMO, so complicated that even they cannot understand it.

Bottom line, I don’t think that there are many easy jobs out there anymore. I am glad I am retired and don’t have to worry about the next round of staff cuts.

Ed Ward

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Listen up!!!! The Chrysler 'bailout' back in the day was a guarenteed loan just like your VA or FHA home loan was. The money came from commercial banks and was paid back with interest. It did not cost the American taxpayer one cent!!!!!!! Now then the 95 % pay for being laid off comes from two places. First the state unemployment compensation fund and second from the union 'sub' fund that makes up the difference to bring the check up to 95% of a 40 hour week. All of you a$$ holes here slam the unions, well if it weren't for the unions only the people that mowed the bosses lawn of sucked his d$$k got a decent job. You had to piss your pants or piss in a coffee can and keep working on the line or get fired for leaving the line to relieve yourself because there was no releif person. Some of you should read the history of the Autolite strike in Toledo and the Battle of the overpass or the Fisher body sit in in the thirties!!!! No then I am jsut as p1$$ed as the next one about the lox and bagel crowd on Wall Street getting their freemoney. I am just as happy as a clam that the 'banker' Madoff with the Ponzi scheme ripped off his brethern. Bill

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

My goodness, will they even have anything to send to Daytona?

10. warren

warren Member

Everybody just sit back and relax, our wonderful, smart and hard working congress and senate will take care of everything.
    warren

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Dang...I'm sure surprised!!

Curt

12. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

The bulk of you blame everything on the Union guy.

Well the Union guy bargained for what he or she got,they did not steal it like
    Wall street did.

Watch TV,and read the newspapers more.It will all be against the Union.

Funny Congress or the Senate never asked AIG and the rest of the crooked ##stards to take a cut in pay.

Some of you need to get off the idea I got it and they should not have it.

Let the Big three fold,and most of you are going to be picking #hit with the chickens.

When the banks go bust and the government is broke,you will be broke.

They thought it could not happen in 1929.Yep, they now have safe guards.

1929 the big dogs made money just like they are now.

Problem then nobody to speak of had cash.

When this hits your cash will probably be worthless just like it was in Germany in 1929.

So people you think you are bullit proof and safe.

Then you still believe in Santa Claus.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

We should all say a prayer and hope next year is better.

Bocephas

13. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

I'm putting my faith in my massiah- peBO.

14. Urbans

Urbans Member

Auto workers pay is unemployment benefits, plus sub pay from the UAW bank & parent company, which equals 92% of regular pay. The thing that bothers me about the auto workers is, that if the regular workers received these benefits, what did Mangement receive, I bet it was way more than the blue collar boys.

15. BMC

BMC Member

CHICAGO, Dec 18 (Reuters) - Chrysler [CBS.UL], which is halting factory operations for at least a month as sales and cash dwindle, will not abandon its involvement in the NASCAR racing circuit but will reduce spending, a top executive said on Thursday.

A day after the cash-strapped automaker said it will idle North American plants starting Friday, Mike Accavitti, director of Chrysler's Dodge brand and motorsports, said the automaker would not change its involvement with the sport.

"We're not going to pull out. We are going to throttle back," he told Reuters. "NASCAR is not exempt from anything else that we do to market and promote vehicles.

"We have to to reduce our spend. We have to get our expenses in line with our revenues," he added in a telephone interview. "As you're fully aware, the market right now for automobiles is at a low point that hasn't been seen in decades. As we resize the company and resize our expenses, our NASCAR spend is not exempt. It's going to be reduced."

Accavitti said Chrysler had plans to cut its NASCAR spending more than 30 percent next year. However, the company will honor its contracts with three race teams it sponsors -- Gillett Evernham, Penske Racing and Petty Enterprises -- as well the track in Talladega, Alabama.

Chrysler, along with General Motors Corp is seeking a financial bailout from the U.S. government it says is the automaker's best hope for near-term survival.

GM said earlier this year it was cutting its spending on motorsports, including NASCAR, and was not renewing track sponsorship deals as they expired, while Ford Motor Co said it plans to cut NASCAR spending by about 20 percent. Japan's Toyota Motor Corp has said its spending will be lower but not said by how much.

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Further more the unemployment and sub pay that workers receive is taxed just like any other income!!! Middle and lower management do not get sub pay, in fact a couple of years ago when Warren Truck was shut down for a couple of weeks Chrysler made the line foremen and area mangers go to other Chrysler plants to more or less get in the way of us trying to build Jeeps and other Chrysler vehicles. The middle managers & foremen were expected to work seven days a week and had to pay for a good share of their health benefits and their retirement was not at all like the union's. They only got time and a half no matter how many hours they were in the plant. If they got thirty years in and wanted to retire but were not old enough they took a hell of a cut in their retirement. Of course the really top a$$holes got much sweeter deals. That is the vice presidents on up. Bill

17. cls

cls Member

<i>The following was copied without permission from ClickOnDetroit.com. cls</i>

Cerberus to Invest In Chrysler

POSTED: Friday, December 19, 2008

UPDATED: 8:01 am EST December 20, 2008

Cerberus says it will invest the first $2 billion of Chrysler Financial profits back into the financing arm's parent automaker.

Cerberus Capital Management LLC says the funding will back up the $4 billion loan Chrysler is getting from the government as part of its rescue package for the domestic auto industry.

But Cerberus says Chrysler's labor costs must be cut to the level of its foreign competitors and its debt restructured.

If that doesn't happen, it says the automaker will not be able to return to long-term viability or be able to repay its government loan.

In order to make that happen, Cerberus says it will offer equity stakes in the automaker to its unions and creditors in exchange for concessions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.