1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chrysler Van

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I have a 2005 Chrysler van with the smaller engine. Great vehicle for hauling all kinds of stuff, fishing gear, shotguns, etc.

But . . . the damn thing has a high pitched sound coming from the engine compartment. The sound increases in pitch when the motor rpm is increased, does not have to be moving so pretty certain it isn't drive train. I had the alternator replaced thinking it was the alternator bearing. The problem still exists.

Possibly the power steering pump ? The sound changes if I turn the wheel back and forth when the car is sitting still.

Any thoughts or anyone have this same problem ?

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I think you answered your own question....

3. Erik W

Erik W Member

Could be as simple as one of the related pullys with bad bearing.

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

Yep.sounds like power steering pump

5. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

It could be the bearing in the idler on the fan belt. Try changing the idler and see what happens. I've had that happen on other vehicles.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Post a good mp3 of the sound and we might be able to help you out. There are SO many things that could make such a noise. Everything from low PS fluid or air in the system to a water pump to a vacuum leak. The list goes on. The best thing to do is get under the hood and see if you can pinpoint where it is coming from. Simple tools would be a length of hose to use as a listening device or a sounding rod to touch to various areas and put next to your ear to try and isolate where it's coming from. Just be VERY careful about moving parts.

7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

get a piece of garden hose or a mechanics stethoscope and start the hunt. It will be easy to find using these devices.

8. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

There is a Chrysler/Dodge forum that you can log on to for answers to all mechanical issues that people have experienced all over the globe. They will help you with any issue as they have had the same problem. I had an issue with an 01 Dodge van and I literally had to argue with my mechanic to replace the sway bar bushings to eliminate the awful annoying "thump thump" everytime I drove over the smallest bump. He said that he had checked these for me (this was my 4th. time back)and that the noise was something else. I told him to replace the bushings any way and guess what??Paydirt-now rides/drives like new. These forums are a wealth of info and you will get the answers needed.Just log onto "Chrysler Van Forum" and proceed from there. Good luck--Dennis.

9. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Before I do any thing get a can of WD-40 spray the fan belts if noise goes away replace all belts sound like belts are dryed out.

10. Joe G. NJ

Joe G. NJ TS Member

Try what cmptrwhz says, it's what I do and it will tell you if you have an old belt. They sell belt dressing for this but it is temporary at best, change the belt.
    Good luck,
    Joe G.

11. smokinbuck

smokinbuck Member

Then again it might not be anything more than low power steering fluid.
    Mark

12. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Well Joe why would I want to go out and spend 5to6 dollars on a can of belt dressing which is just garbage in the frist place when most people have wd-40 lying around the house, to see if I can find the problem he already replaced the Alt and didn't fix the noise ,one quick shot noise goes away, problem found and didn't waste 6 bucks.You should try it sometime works well cut down on trouble shooting time and is not a mess as is belt dressing that gets in to everything and is not one big sticky mess.

13. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

HAD THE ALTERNATOR REPLACED. DID YOU REQUEST IT OR ASKED THE MECHANIC TO
    DIAGNOSE YOUR ISSUE? I WOULD STOP BY A MOPAR DEALER AND ASK A TECH TO
    LISTEN TO IT. THEY SEE HUNDEREDS OF THESE A MONTH AND WILL PROBABLY DIAGNOSE IT IN A FEW SECONDS. COULD BE A TENSIONER ISSUE, AS YOU TURN THE WHEEL THE
    LOAD ON THE BELT WILL INCREASE. IF IT IS WORN, CONTAMINATED OR THE TENSION
    IS TOO WEAK IT WILL SLIP AND GIVE YOU THE SQUEAL. YOU COULD ALSO GET A SQUEAL
    FROM THE ALTERNATOR PULLEY UNDER LOAD. IF YOU PUT ON THE LIGHTS, REAR DEFROSTER AND HIGH BLOWER, REV THE ENGINE IF IT SQUEALS, THE BELT OR TENSIONER
    IS THE ISSUE.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My trusty stethoscope would get it for me.

They are cheap at Harbor Freight. Had one since wrenching bikes in the 60's.

HM

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I like my Engine Ear and Chassis Ear, but a long screwdriver, stethoscope, or length of tubing will do in a pinch. Diagnose it before you try to fix it. That would usually keep the costs down.

16. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Top off the power steering reservoir. Overfill slightly....

17. boba7449

boba7449 Member

the screen in the bottom of the p/s resevoir are notorious for becoming partially plugged on outer edge where it's hard to see. replace the resevoir and flush the system.. this is a very common problem....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.