1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chrylsler-Fiat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by School Teacher, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

This merger just does not make business sense to me.

No offense to Italy but Fiat just does not seem to me to be a car company that has a lot to offer to the American public. Fiat tried to make it in the USA years ago and they were not successful.

With GM wanting to sell Saab and Ford maybe wanting to sell Volvo, each of which has excellent technology, how does Fiat's technology get Chrysler's ox out of the ditch?

Heck, Damiler Benz lost a lot of money on their experiment with Chrysler and Damiler has some of the best technology in the world.

It just seems to me that this proposed deal has very little chance of success.

Why prolong Chrysler's agony at the expense of the American taxpayer?

Ed Ward

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I agree. Fiat has never shown me anything. They were a flop over here and I know of no reason anything would/could change for the better with them in the picture.

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Fiat sells more cars in Europe than any other manufacturer. Besides, I hope they bring back the Alpha Romeo sports car to the U.S., if it's built with quality.

4. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

F.I.A.T. Fix it again Tony !

Tom R.

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"No offense to Italy but Fiat just does not seem to me to be a car company that has a lot to offer to the American public. Fiat tried to make it in the USA years ago and they were not successful."</blockquote>
    I would recommend that you do some in-depth research into Fiat AG before making comments based on 40 year-old perceptions. Fiat is one of THE most active companies in the world doing research and development in automotive design and materials technology, engine design, electronic systems, alternative power sources, systems and energy distribution. Fiat did not fail in the US in the past; the American auto was busy shooting itself in the foot at the time and American buyers were high on cheap gas and throw-away technology. Fiat didn't fit the American consumers' idea of what an American car should be. You see who is having the last laugh now.

Carol Lister

6. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just wait until the UAW gets done with Fiat......That last European company that got in bed with Chrysler found out how it is.

Remember who owns Chrysler....They bought it for pennies on the dollar. Sounds as if they have got their money back and then some.

This is not Chrysler.....<em>"WAKE UP AMERICA"</em>

7. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"Just wait until the UAW gets done with Fiat......That last European company that got in bed with Chrysler found out how it is."</blockquote>
    That is ancient history from a time when the union still had some power. Those days are gone. The unions are no longer feared nor will they have the influence to dictate to industry; there are just too many good, capable people looking for work for unions to feel themselves secure.

Carol Lister

8. 221

<i>"That is ancient history from a time when the union still had some power. Those days are gone. The unions are no longer feared nor will they have the influence to dictate to industry; there are just too many good, capable people looking for work for unions to feel themselves secure.
    Carol Lister"</i>

"YOUR DREAMING".....%~)

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

How does the UAW own 55% without buying the stock? How does Chrysler get 8 Billion while filing chapter 11? Something tells me the taxpayer is paying the bill....again.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Carol, Fiat took Fiat-Allis down the tubes so fast you would have thought you were on a Six Flag ride.

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Carol:

I hope you are right in your assessment of Fiat. To me, many Americans do not have a favorable opinion of Fiat.

I would also like to see Chrysler succeed.

What products do you think Fiat will bring to the table? Will they have a price or quality advantage over Toyota, Honda, Nissan or even Kia or Hundae? Is not Ford preparing to introduce some of its European models in the USA?

I think that Chrysler has a viable product in its Jeep brand, its minivan and its trucks. Beyond that, I don't know.

Given the time it will take to bring Fiat products to the USA and the advertising and dealer/service/parts investments, I thinh that Chrysler-Fiat has a tall hill to climb.

It also seems to me that there are too many companies trying to sell automobiles in the American market. Looking at the US market as a zero sum game, if Chrysler-Fiat succeeds, will this not take sales away from GM, Ford or the various foreign nameplates making and selling vehicles in America.

What do you think the resale value projections will be for Fiat products sold in America?

Why would anyone buy a Fiat over a Toyota Corolla or Yaris.

Ed Ward

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Obama instructed Chrysler to hook-up with Fiat, so he must know it will work. After all, who knows more about the intricasies of business, manufacturing, and the unionized American auto industry than a community organizer?

Sarcasm aside, Ed Ward asked, "Why prolong Chrysler's agony at the expense of the American taxpayer?"

Hmmm... doesn't that question perfectly capture the essence of what every American who understands what made this country great in the first place must be wondering right now? Propping-up abject failures at the expense of the taxpayers, who had no choice in the matter, is the polar opposite of the principles upon which this nation was founded.

Shame on us all for tolerating this.

-Gary

13. Barry C. Roach

Yo go GW!!!!!!!

14. 221

"COULD" and "IF".......highly unlikely.....imagine the repercussions of that many people with out their monthly transfusions

15. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

Maybe Fiat builds good cars now, but the sure did fall on their rear in the early 70s after failing to build any market share. The reason was that their cars were prone to breaking down constantly.

Before we blame the consumer for rejecting their small cars, remember that Toyota started importing cars to the US in the 60s. I'd say they did just fine with their small cars at the same time Fiat was failing.

I hope Fiat does better this time, but I wouldn't bet any of my money on it.

16. Barry C. Roach

Renault's are a better car than the Fiat. That should tell you something.

17. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Off subject but I had a Renault and a Fiat. Both pieces of crap.

Steve

18. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

kolardude, they do still have the Alfa Romeo. It was in the last James Bond movie too!
    <a href='http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alfaromeowidescreen945.jpg'>[​IMG]</a><br/>
    -Trappy

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Fiat does or did well in Europe but I agree with others on this thread that what we got was poor quality.

We got a lot of junk from Europe years ago, R. Dauphine, Opel Kadett, Alliance,etc.

When I toured Europe in 1969 I was impressed with the Opel Record. A great small car. We drove it for two weeks thru the mountains of Austria, Italy and Switz.. Just ran great.

Regardless, its going to take some doing to unseat the Japanese.

Regards....Gerald

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I for one am going to enjoy watching them lose their butts in this forced government merger. My hope is that Fiat, Chrysler and the unions all go down together. I won't be disappointed.