1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chrony

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

For some time, I have been considering the purchase of a chronograph. I handload a lot and it might be useful to keep track of how my loads are doing. My understanding is that it can also be used for shotgun. I am concerned that it will just be another piece of equipment that will live in my closet and not be used very much after the initial novelty wears off.

Your opinion pleas...

Thanks!

Bruce

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It will sit in your closet a lot but when you take it out it will do things no other piece of equipment you have will do.

Of course I could have copied the above from some invitation to a party or something

I had a regular shooting Chrony-- they allowed me after 7 years to trade it in towards a gamma chrony

The gamma has a remote display ( can sit on your bench) more importantly for shotgun uses- it allows the front of the unit to be safe from ejecta (because all you have out there is a metal plate- not a display)
    )
    I have used more expensive units- but this in my opinion is the best of any unit I have used

btw (what other company allows you to trade in old electronics)?

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Chronographs can be a very valuable asset for a handloader, especially with metallic cartridges. A rifle load, for instance, that doesn't group well and has a high velocity deviation from shot to shot suggests excessive variation in the powder charges. Conversely, a rifle that won't print good groups with several loads that have low deviation numbers likely has a mechanical problem - poor bedding or a rough bore. Most popular chronographs measure about 35 feet per second fast with shot charges because they are designed to clock a single projectile.

The $99 ProChrono and Shooting Chrony offer decent performance at a reasonable cost. A year ago, I bought a Competitive Edge Dynamics model M2 chronograph for $199 and like it better than those two. It has a large-character display that sits on the bench with you and eliminates the glare off the unit's display plus allows you to do any calculations without walking out to the tunit. It stores something like 100 shot strings in memory, connects to a PC via a USB cable and comes with dedicated software. CED also sells a carrying/storage case into which everything fits that even has adjustable Velcro loops on the back to hold a tripod.

The M2 seems less sensitive to where the projectile passes over the photocells. Some chronographs will give erroneous readings unless the projectile passes directly over the photocells' "sweet spots" but the CED unit is okay with the projectile traveling anywhere within the triangular opening of the skyscreens.

Ed

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thanks for all the info! How far from the muzzle do you set it up?

Bruce

6. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Bruce,
    I also have the CED unit. Really like it and it does well with shot shells.

Screen is 10 feet away and use a cylinder or skeet choke. Anything tighter

and it will probably show a higher velocity.

Go on the CED website and you'll see.

Mike C. Groveland, CA

PS: use it for my varmint loads and it's right on the money.

7. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

I have a Chrony - works great.

8. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Opps---Correction, 4 ft for shotgun!!
    Later will post the .pdf manual.

Mike C.

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

10. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Capvan,

Go here to get a copy of the manual for the CED.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/CEDMQA.htm

Mike Cunningham

Groveland, CA

ATA Life Vet

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

capvan, if you get one, here's some advice on how to get the most out of it. First step is to get a cylinder or skeet choke. I think five or six feet works fine for most chronographs.

Neil

12. front242

front242 Member

Has anyone used a PACT? The Professional XP and the Model 1 XP look interesting.

Tim Osuna
    F²4²

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have used PACT and didnt like them- reliability and repeatability were an issue

I really have used all of them and a Chrony was the best of the bunch- although Pro Crono- were pretty close

the most expensive brand - to remain nameless- was pretty bad

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I agree with Gene. Pass on the PACT. Same reason. I've had no trouble with ProChrono though Crony is fine as long as you open it completely. You can also use the ProChrono to set targets and the Crony won't do that. But the printer for the Crony is cheaper and a printer is nice.

Neil

15. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I have a Pro Chrono. No Problems. You can pick them up for about one Bean.

Chrono`s do come in handy.

Regards, Pete

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a f-1 Chrony(I think), inexpensive but works good. I use it for Bows, rifles and shotguns. Each year we get the new model bows and we take them out back to see if they are as fast as they advertise. Most are real close anyway. I used it last weekend to check several of the guys loads from our club. Several of them are shooting in Palatka Fl this coming weekend and wanted to check their loads. You don't have to spend a pile of money to get a good unit. Jackie B.

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'll third the anti-Pact sentiment. I bought one of theirs - I forget the model number but it was close to $500, as I recall. Anyway, it wouldn't register a shot and since their instructions urge you to call with problems, I did right from the shooting bench. It took four tries 10 or 15 minutes apart after 10:00 a.m. their time to get an answer and it wasn't a good one.

Our range faces west and the sun was behind me. I was told that since the photocells weren't shaded by the skyscreens, I needed to rotate the unit until they were. When I told the gentleman that doing so would require that the unit be turned so that it was facing across the range and tilted almost 90 degrees, his reply was that I had to do what I had to do.

I did - I set up my old $99 Chrony and finished firing my test loads. Then I returned the Pact for a refund and bought my CED M2.

Ed

18. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Has anyone tried a RCBS yet??

19. larry byers

larry byers TS Member

Ed check your PM. larry byers

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I bought an F1 Chrony on a whim five or six years ago. I have other chronographs, but couldn't pass up the deal. It now resides in the back of my car, along with a tripod and extra batteries. It gets used the most, because it is there when I would think about using it. It is reliable and works rather well for shotgun shells, along with rifle and handgun. Others don't always work as well, so if the deal comes around again, I'd buy a second one for my other car. One thing I did was put a small piece of plexiglass in front of the display. It keeps the "fouling" off the cronograph. Won't help a misguided missile though. I start around 5 - 8 feet from the chronograph. Five or six seems about the best for me. Use an open choke. They seem to work best with the diffusers in place, although you might get away without them on some days, depending on the sunlight and time of day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to trade in a chrony