1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chrony help...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

How far do you put a chronograph from the muzzle of the shotgun? I just bought this and am terrified of blasting it. It will seem very strange shooting at something that I do NOT want to destroy. It's one of those "Chrony's" with the "V" thingies you shoot thru.

Thanks...

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

With me Oehler, I can get 6' back but not much closer without causing errors in the readings due to muzzle blast. That's your real problem; how far back before the readings are reliable but not so far back that you threaten the chrono. Trial and error on the distance may be your choice unless you have instructions from Chrony. Know that there is nearly no spread in patterns in a good safe difference. Do use no choke or your most open choke for most reliable readings.....Bob Dodd

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I use a Chrony and use the rods only I shoot at four feet from the muzzle .

Also I use a 22 Rifle first to see if things are working right . A 22 should be around 1050 - 1100

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Geez, excuse my error, I'll correct it here, NOT MUZZLE 6 FEET from the chrono - I STOOD 6 to 7 feet from the chrono and the muzzle was well out in front of that. I can't tell you what my muzzle was since I couldn't hold the gun correctly and measure muzzle distance at the same time. Sorry for the mistake.....Bob Dodd

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

4 feet from the muzzle works. If you have an overcast day you don't need to use the screens.

Put it on a camera tripod and shoot frome a bench rest, adjust the height so it's about 4-6 inches below the projectile flight.

We only shot ours once. (wad hit the display)LOL.

HM

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I put a 4X4 post in the ground and a 1x6 on top to set the Chrony . I also set a small piece of wood in front of the display . LOL

7. mike b.

mike b. Member

Chrony instructions say shotgun muzzle should be 5 feet away. I usually just use the bottom rods (with no sun shield) and shoot over the top of them. Works well. "You shoot it, you own it" keeps friends aim more accurate.

8. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

I agree 4 or 5 feet. Also may be helpful to shoot 8 or 10 rounds and disregard the fastest and slowest ones. Seems like you always get one that just doesn't make sense.

9. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I have a ProChrono and it says 5' for shotguns and 15' for rifles. I have chrono'd many shotgun loads at 5' with no issues just make sure your barrel is shooting in the middle of the diffuser arms.

10. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

Another tip I saw is to lose the steel rods. Use 1/8" hardwood dowels cut to the same length. The idea behind that is, when you hit the steel rod there is a good chance of breaking the plastic in the chrony that holds the rods. The dowels work great in my Beta Master. They should work in others.

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You want help . . .? There's a good deal at the link above.

Neil

12. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

A shield in front of the screen is a great idea. Mine is etched from powder, smeared from cast bullet grease and so far, not smacked by a wad. I now use a plexiglas screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.