1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chronopgraph speed of AA's.. anyone have test?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

It has been mentioned on the forum...and again by a gentleman that has been loading 40 plus years at our supply source that AA's are faster than advertised on the box label.

I am beginning a complete loading operation ... and woulkd like to duplicate the speed of factory shells when I get started. (...especially since I have shot many flats of AA's 1200 fps. shells lately).

Does anyone have chronograph results for:

28 ga. 1200 fps 3/4 oz. AA target loads

12 ga. 1200 fps 7.5oz. AA target loads

I'm about to load several thousand shells...and I'd hate to be disappointed in the loads because they were weak compared to factory loads.

Any information on this subject....would be appreciated, especially ACTUAL chronograph results of these exact shells (but not confined to that).

Thanks and best regards..Stan

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Stan. Buy a box and run them across your chrono. Then match what you get.

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Stan, big M is correct, take your new shells and run them over your or a friend's chrono, be advised that the readings will be 30 to 35 ft. per second higher than factory readings as our chronos measure first shot through not the mass as the factory loads are measured. Load to match and you are set! incinerate em!

4. StansCustoms

If I have a friend that has a chrono...I don't know about it. Hence the query...

...and I really needed the information sooner, I had planned on loading all day today. It's raining...and the first free day I've had in a good while.

Thanks...Stan

5. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Stan.

It would be foolish for a "neophyte" :), or for that matter an experienced loader, to load a bunch of shells without shooting a sample first. Nothing much more frustrating than cutting up once-fired hulls because they are not correct.

Michael

6. StansCustoms

Hello Michael...

Foolish ...probably, but rocket science...maybe not...LOL!

If they go bang and you have top notch components...and watch the loaders carefully to see that all stations are functioning correctly....I'm all in there.

I just spent a day getting a Mec pro help me tune my machines...and refresh my memory on their operation and adjustment procedures. We weighed a few powder drops and and are ready to go. (unless I need to make a corection for velocity, I had forgotten about the discrepency between advertised loads velocities and formula velocities till this morning).

The last batch of several thousand shells I loaded over 20 years ago was finally depleted last month. Even after all those years they all fired and hit great.

Not to say ..I won't step out back and pop a cap or two in the woods initially...but that's about it.

The last thing I need is real velocities to adjust my powder charges to...then I'll load a thousand or so..and re-evaluate after shooting those.

The homework has been thorough and complete to this point. The rest is up to the shooter.

:)Stan...

7. StansCustoms

Steve...

Quote: "The W-W shells tested are AA"

THANKS!!...I didn't catch that WW was AA's, senior moment I guess.

Now can you tell me what the AA advertised velocity for the (2) sets of WW figures are are based on..

Also I assume these are 12 gauge?

Best regards..Stan

8. StansCustoms

10-4 thanks Steve...

Stan...

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I know the 410 and 28 ga AA HS Super Sport loads are just over 1300 fps on my PACT chrono.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.