1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

chronographing reloads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Southpaw Sam, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

New to the forum--yes, however back into trapshooting after 25 years, and reloading again. I"m wondering how many of you who reload, do chronograph your loads? I would like to find a 'retired model 35 oehler chronograph'. Comments please.

2. Trap4

Trap4 Member

I chronograph mine. Use an oehler 35 and works fine for me.
    Trap-4

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I chronograph most of my loads. I test them at normal ambient temps and freeze some to test while they are still cold. I can get a good idea how they will perform in the winter that way. Sometimes a change in primer, powder, or wad will help for cold weather performance. I use the beater chronograph the most. I'ts in the trunk of the car and it works well. It's a Chrony F-1. I have a few others, but the Chrony seems to work fine. I compared a few and there is very little difference in the readings, except the Chrony seems to be a little more reliable with shotshells, except for the Oehler.

The Oehler 35 is a great unit, but it has been discontinued. Some parts are still available. I doubt many current owners would care to part with theirs, but you never know. They were a little expensive, but worth the money. My Oehler cost under $300. My F-1 was less than $70. Which one gets more use? The F-1, of course. The F-1 is also easier to set up and can be online in a couple of minutes. The Oehler takes a half hour to set up and takes up a lot more room in the trunk. One of the three Oehler screens would cost more to replace if damaged than the entire F-1 unit. I'm sure I get better data from the Oehler, but all I really need is a velocity reading for what I do. I might consider a unit with inductive screens and pressure testing capabilities sometime, but unless I win big in the lottery, it probably won't happen in this lifetime. Most of my "Rich Uncles" have either died or disowned me.

5. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

Recob's in Wisconsin has the Chrony F1 for less tha 80 bucks..Check there web site under accessories..They usually have some good prices on most things.Also check Midway for prices..

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Been doing it for at least 25 years on all my reloads, and new shells for comparison.

7. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

Thanks to all for lots of info. Sounds like the F1 Chrony is the way to go. Also comparing new shell velocities to reloads will be helpful.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I got my Chrony F-1 at Midway for $69.99 on sale about five years ago. I have a ten dollar tripod for it. Use the longer diffusers (added center section) and two piece extended rods. You might want to take a small piece of plexiglass and place it over the disply, since it will collect burned powder and "stuff" from the loads you are firing. It might also protect the display from a hit by a stray wad if the plastic is thick enough. (Walmart Federals have a wierd wad arrangement) I shoot with the muzzle six to eight feet in front and try to keep the shot a few inches centered over the light screens. Keep the unit out in the light. It seems to work the best on hazy and cloudy days. Having an overcast sky might alow you to remove the diffusers and still get decent readings. Just be careful not to shoot the unit. Mine has survived some heavy use over the time I have owned it. The only accesory I have for it is an extra 9V battery. They will crap out on you when you are in the middle of a test. I won't tell you how I know that, but they will tend on doing that. Disconnect and remove the battery when not in use.

9. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I chronograph and pattern extensively. The change of powder or powder lot necessitates using a scale, but I tune my handicap loads with a chronograph.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.