1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

chronograph?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kene, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kene

kene TS Member

am thinking about buying a chronograph to see what my loads [reloads and factory] are really doing but wonder about how well chronographs work with a bunch of shot going past the screens [signals to the timing electronics will he different from a single rifle bullet ...]. anyone have good or bad experience with chronographs and shotgun shells??

if experience was good which one works well [PACT or shooting chrony or??]??

thanks for comments

kene

2. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

I use a Chony Beta and usually shoot through the sky screens at a distance of about 10 feet from the muzzle. At that distance the shot and the wad are probably one big lump. The speeds recorded by the chronograph are generally pretty close to the reloading manual listings.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chrony Beta with the remote display ( that means you can read it and it wont get shot)

I have tried several others( including Oehler, Competitive Edge Dynamics and Pact) and despite their much greater cost- none worked as well

Read some reviews around the and you will find those brands that you think would work well or are more accurate- it just isnt so

Chrony will even let you trade it in on a newer model

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Oehler is the best. You can now find them on Ebay.

5. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

I use a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital. Don't let the price fool you, made in the USA and works EXTREMELY well! Its on sale at MidwayUSA for $99, that's where I got mine. I use it for everything, pistol, rifle, and shotgun.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have had the original red Chrony and a Prochrono.

I like the Prochrono better.

HM

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Another vote for the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital. Bought mine from Midway for $100.

Jim Skeel

8. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I have a Chrony Beta with remote and it meets my needs. If you are like most folks I know you won't use it much anyway so don't dump a bunch of money in one. If you are a serious pistol or rifle shooter that is another story IMO.

9. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Have an Oehler and yes Auctioneer, I belive that it is the best---

Trap-4

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The ProChrono works best for me. My club's rifle range faces west, so shooting in the morning puts the best light on the targets but the sun isn't overhead where it is best for chronographs. I bought a Pact that wouldn't record a shot and a Competitive Edge Dynamics M2 that gave error readings and crazy speed readings. Every time those more costly chronographs wouldn't work, I broke out my trusty old ProChrono and it worked every time. I've since bought one of the newer ProChronos from MidwayUSA and use my old one as a backup.

However, you must remember that these "hobby" chronographs are made for clocking a single projectile where an expensive shotshell chronograph is capable of clocking the mass of the shot charge, therefore ProChronos and their type will read a little fast when used with shotshells. ProChrono suggests shooting as close to the photocells as possible without muzzle blast affecting the readings (five feet is their recommendation) and then deduct 35fps from the readings.

Ed

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Strong ditto Ed's remarks. My experience is with an Oehler and it took me a very long time to consider "other" concerns than just the automatic reduction he mentions. With the homeowner chronos, barrel length will alter readings, choke used will alter readings, temperature will alter readings and I'm sure more could be debated. I was lucky to eventually find a barrel, gun, choke combination in my testing that came VERY close to matching printed velocities from factory shells. That did make things easier to deal with. I recommend finding a factory shell you want to match in your loading, consider the difference between the alleged factory velocity with what you get when testing that shell, then load to match or differ as you want from that base. Sending a few shells to experts with chronos designed for shot shells, like Down Range wads, is another easy and cheap base to work with.......breakemall

12. kene

kene TS Member

Thanks for the comments -- they raised some things that I had not thought about. Am less concerned about precise speed accuracy than comparing one load to another and seeing how consistent things are are from shot to shot. Since this will be an occasional use item, I'll will look into the ProChrono and Chrony Beta a little deeper and decide which one -- then will see how it works in the New Mexico lighting.

BDs suggestion about sending a handful of "standard" shells to Down Range to get a "precise" base velocity is an interesting one -- didn't know they would chrono someones home loads. Any idea about who to contact there to ask about that kind of service???

kene

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

That "baseline" idea can be accomplished to see if you are close with factory loads

Gene

PS- I have done that several times myself

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to chronograph shotshells