1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chronograph speed problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I purchased a chronograph from Cabelleas it was the BETA model that holds target shot up to 10 shots.

Yesterday about 6:00pm with sun out bright and the chrono on tri-pod and shooting from 5 feet 4-6 inches over the sensors per instructions speeds of shells were recording way too fast.

3 dram shells were recording 2219fps to 3000fps+

A few shells recorded correctly. Followed the instructions completely on setting it up.

Had a new Akaline 9 volt battery installed correctly.

I would say it reaqd the speed correctly on 5 or 6 out of 30 shots fired.

My last shell that read correctly was my LONGSHOT LOAD at 1575fps.

How much does bright sunlight affect this problem? Is there a proper time of day to chronograph shells.

We tried it with and without the sheilds no difference.

Is muzzle blast a concern? How about the design of the tripod?

It seemed on most that the speed was being doubled. Especially the one ounce loads.

We are on the verge of returning it to Cabellas for another unit.

They had the cheaper model for $99.00 and the recording model which I bought for $119.00.

Anyone have any suggestions or had similiar problems?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Dr.Longshot

DG Kaufman we are going to try it from 11:00am to 3:00pm when the sun is higher and see if that helps.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Gary, how far from the muzzle is the chronograph positioned? If the unit is on a tripod and it rocks around when the gun fires, it might be too close, allowing muzzle blast to affect your readings.

Light is also important in that it must cover both phototcells the same.

Ed

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Direct sunlight on the sensors will cause problems. As D.G.Kaufman is saying, you need indirect light.

5. Dr.Longshot

It was a nice overcast day today, I can get 2 what I believe good readings then all goes to hell 1210 and 1205 seemed ok then the next shell 2210 and then 4350 and then 857.5.

Replaced the battery which was new and got same results.

I went over the manual and downloaded a manual, Am disgusted with the operation and going to try to exchange it for another one.

We shot over 50 shells trying to get it to work.

Says Bbl should be 5 feet back tried that and 8 feet all to no avail.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Gary, it could be the particular unit. Though my Crony worked fine, I have had a chronograph which didn't work right and couldn't be fixed.

The real cure is a frame made of PVC pipe above the unit covered with thin white cloth at least a couple of feet square. It is far brighter than the sky and results in very reproducible data. Without something like that, I got poor results so often chronographing was generally a waste of time. Cloudy days are often OK though - but who wants to wait for one of them in the fall?

Neil

7. AveragEd

Around here, rain usually falls when the sky is cloudy.

I was out yesterday with my old $99 ProChrono. Bright sunny sky without a cloud in sight. I didn't even bother with the skyscreens because they are the old cardboard ones and are falling apart. I still got very believable readings from the .223 Model 700 for which I was testing loads but I think not having the screens in place may have affected the readings a little.

None of the five loads I tried had good deviation numbers but they shot into groups of 0.662" to 0.982" and the load that shot the tightest group had the most deviation (99fps). That usually doesn't happen, so I'm ordering their newer plastic screens.

Ed

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil. An innovative solution to an old problem. I will build one.

jim brown

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gary. Get this model in digital with no extras. A snap to use without reading the manual and has never failed to work for me in any lighting conditions. Mine did double the speed once but then I figured I was too close and now it always gives me readings that seem correct. Used it yesterday at 10:30 AM to test some new loads off the MEC and I came up with 5 bullets that ranged from 1177 to 1190 and averaged 1180. A fool can use one of these and I proved it.

Jack
    mia_2008_030341.jpg

10. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

When it comes to reading shotguns nothing beats the Pro-Chrono. So a big +1 for the poster above.

A few years ago we lined up a PACT, Chrony, and Pro-Digital and tested all three in bright light with both factory and reloads.

It made me a believer

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have both the above mentioned models. I use the ProChrono always because th other one is old and erratic.

I have to use the screens on sunny days. I have to tilt the thing at certain times so the screens shadow the openings. I know if I tilt it too much the readings will be off because I will have shortened the distance between the sensors.

You can only do one of 2 things: use the screens or only go on cloudy days.

Try mornings or evenings before the sun is high.

HM

12. AveragEd

I have set up a 10' square canopy over mine when I couldn't get readings but the canopy won't fit in the trunk of my car, so I can only take it along when we use my son's pickup.

Ed

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Here's what I use. Or two ProChrono digitals, but then you need a printer because you can't see the front one's readout. Two-in-a-row is the real answer because it it tells you which shots are permitted (or required) to be omitted.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> chrono-outside-web-1.jpg </a>

Neil

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Mine came with Sun Shields - opaque plastic sheets designed to sit above the openings on the tops of the 'rabbit ears.' Maybe 3" X 18"

I found a similar material and made larger ones and that has taken much of the 'extreme' reading out of the equation for me (mine is used more for rifles than shotguns).

You will need to be careful that the blast doesn't blow them off the arms (not the shot - the blast itself). I've found that for shotguns you want to be right on top of the unit rather than back five feet...

15. JACK

I use my sun shields every time I run the ProChrono.

Neil. Is that the infamous "870" that sets your standard?

16. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

If the sun is behind you it will be a problem. If so, turn the rig around and shoot in the direction of the sun.....not right AT the sun, but if the sun is in the west, shoot west. That will be a great help to you.

Also, if you can get the rig in the shade, such as the down-sun side of a building with an unobstructed view of the sky, that is also a good deal.

I've chronoed thousands of rounds of ammo, including shotgun ammo and these are the things that work for me.

17. Dr.Longshot

I returned the Chrony to Cabellea's and am getting the Pro Chrono Digital I would have gotten that one if I had seen it. They said it was a warehouse item and are exchanging it. It is their Item #23501320.

I wished that they had it out with the other Chrono's.

I am still going to put the white sheet over the shades and give that a try.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I found the white sheet to be problematic in the wind. I didn't have mine set up as neat as Neil's, but I went to a piece of opaque white plastic. It is similar to the plastic they use for the original diffusers. I put it in a frame and bent it to a similar arc like the originals. I have a ProCrono that simply will not do shotshells. I have two others that work just fine. My F-1s do most of my work, since they are in the trunk and I don't have to think too much about taking them along. The F-1s work just fine with the original diffusers. Two units in tandem is definately the way to go. It takes the guesswork out of odd readings. I also put a small shield in front of both unites, to keep the burned powder and other garbage from getting too thick. The plastic won't help a direct hit, but it can help deflect other debris.

19. JACK

Gary. when you use the ProChrono dig, it has plastic diffusers that slip onto the steel rods. use those in any light conditions at any time of the day or day light conditions. The unit will work. It is so simple you needn't read the manual. keep your muzzle about 6' from the front of the unit. I did not buy any extras and would not again for shot shell testing. Turn it on. Shoot your first shot and see the result. Shoot your second shot and see that speed, and so on with the rest to be tested. I do groups of 5 or ten (of the same load)and then push the review button and it shows the last speed recorded and then each time you press the review button it ticks down to the first shot. Hit the review button again and it gives you a "high". Again and it give you a "low". again and it gives you the average.

I am 5'-8" tall and what I do is go to a trap field that is not in use, turn the scorers chair so that I can set the unit on the seat of the chair and then I place the box on the seat and the unit on top of the box. Then I take a bungee cord and attach it between the slats of the floorboard, wrap it over the unit and attach the other end of the bungee to another floorboard place. the unit is now secure in the wind. Step back about 8-10' and aim right down the middle. Fire and get a result you can readily see from where you are standing. Do nothing to the unit. It will record your subsequent shots without touching the unit.

the unit will keep your speeds in memory till you choose to delete them. Even when you shut the unit off.

I paid $100 from Midway for mine.

I love mine because it reinforces the quality of load that I am using. I am currently using a 1160 fps ounce and an eighth load for hcp and a light one ounce load for singles. Where the chrono comes in handy is when you try different powders. I am out of Titewad and trying some Clays and will buy a 1 pounder of Red Dot to use for winter shooting. I shoot PB or Green Dot for summer hcp.

You will have an enjoyable time testing loads. Keep us posted.

20. AveragEd

I second just about everything Jack said above. I attach my ProChrono to a tripod instead of a scorer's chair.

Jack, any Polish blood in your background?

I've owned four brands of "hobby" chronographs - CED, Pact, Shooting Chrony and ProChrono - and like the ProChrono best so far. The CED and Pact might have better components and potentially be more accurate but that seems to make them more sensitive to less-than-perfect light conditions. My Pact wouldn't work at all and a call to them resulted in being told to turn it 90 degrees so the light was on the photocells more evenly. It didn't seem to matter to them that I would then be shooting across the unit from the side. The CED at least gives me error readings on bright days and CED is going above and beyond to try to make the unit work for me.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chronograph issues

problems with prochrono readings