1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chronograph Info Needed???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I am considering buying a chronograph and want to select a good one. Can any one provide any recomendations as to what to buy and what to look for in a chronograph for use with shotshells. Any tips on use will also be appreciated as always. You help is appreciated.

Doug

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Start here.

Neil

3. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

If you have the extra coin, I recommend the infrared models. John E.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Oehler is or was the best on the market. They are no longer being made but you will bwe able to find them on Ebay fron time to time. Check Midway also.

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

You might look at PACT also, there website is:

http://www.pact.com/

Good luck, John E.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Having had them all, I'd pass on PACT if I were you. I never could get mine to work reliably, though the rifle shooter I gave it to loves it. A couple of trips back to the maker didn't get it working right, ever, for shotguns.

Neil

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pro Chrono Digital without the remote. Very user friendly

mia_2008_030356.jpg

8. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Don`t know what your budget is,but my vote goes to the Pro Chrono Digital.

EZ to set up and use, and nicer than the Shooting Chrony. Never used the Pact, so can`t comment on that.

You should be able to find the PCD for about $100.

Regards, Pete

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I bought a Pro Chrono Digital and had to send it back. It read up to 800fps high. The mfg. said they test each unit with a low powered air rifle. They sent another as a replacement. It works, but the readings are consistently 25fps higher compared to the same unit the club owns. It also has a habit of freaking out every now and then.

I also have accuracy issues with the various Chronys I've used. I was originally going to buy the Ohler, but it was dicontinued. I settled on the CED Millenium chrono, because they had a good reputation. They were out of stock, so I bought the Pro Digital. I am planing to replace it with the newer CED Millenium M2 model before my next chrono session.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a CED M2 and highly recommend it. It is very insensitive to where within the triangular opening of the shades the bullet travels and having the display on the bench with you is better than trying to read a display several yards away when there is glare on it. CED also offers a very reasonably priced soft case for the unit and all its components that even has straps on the back that hold your tripod.

The only weakness I've found in it so far is an occasional inability to read jacketed bullets on bright, sunny days. I guess there is too much reflected light from those bullets, because larger caliber bullets are more problematic. For instance, on the same day it would not read jacketed 12-gauge slugs at all, it read .257" jacketed bullets with good consistency. I now put it under a canopy when I use it on days like that.

I consider it a good buy for $200.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.