1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chrono results AA Super Handicap Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Michael Jobe, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Just chronoed my handicap loads and got some suprising results. It's low 40s today, and mostly cloudy. Gun is a Beretta 391 with a 32" barrel and a Briley light full (.030) choke. Chronograph is a chrony F-1, placed just over 6' from the muzzle.

Factory Winchester AA Super Handicap:

1236, 1229, 1197, 1210

Reloads: once fired new AAs, Win 209, Win white wad, just over 470 grains of Lawrence mag 7 1/2, 20.9 grains of AA Super Handicap powder hand measured.

1258, 1297, 1288, 1283, 1316, 1288

Reloads, same as above, but multiple fired hulls, and powder dropped on a single stage MEC, #23 bushing, drops I checked were 20.8 gr.

1304, 1250, 1314, 1304, 1308

First, the reloads are waaaaay too fast. Don't know if the load data is a little off (the recipe I'm loading is supposed to give 1250 fps), or the 20 grains under a full 1 1/8 oz of shot is accounting for the extra velocity. I was suprised that the loads with the powder dropped via the press were for the most part more consistent than the ones I loaded by hand.

Second, I'm suprised at how slow the factory loads were, with one of them actually under 1200 fps. Need to chrono the Federal Handicaps I have, and some Nitro 27s. I may be switching my factory handicap load.

~Michael

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Michael- I would be interesting to see the velocity of the AA Super Handicap shells shot at 70 degrees.

Pat Ireland

3. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Through the chronographing I have done, with the 1 1/16 oz load and the 1 1/8 oz load you will get 40 to 50 fps difference because of the lighter weight. BRGII

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Michael, you aren't taking advantage of the freedom your Crony is giving you, so I don't think you are getting as much out of it as you ought to.

The first freedom it gives you is the ability, once you have gone to the work of setting it up, of seeing how things are coming out, related to the second:

the ease with which you can take more shots.

You aren't shooting nearly enough. Four, five, six shots hardly warrant the work that went into taking them.

Let's say you started with the AA's. Eight shots give you the chance of twice replication from the same box if you saw something odd, and those speeds may or may not look odd, but if they do to you, then you should have put them away for a while, shot the others, and retuned to the AA's later. Four shots don't tell you much of anything beyond "Hey, here's something I didn't expect; I'd better check by shooting them again."

You thought that the next two may differ in consistency is even less supported. You need ten, twenty shots through a cylinder choke to even guess as consistency differences. And even then you are guessing until you replicate your findings on different days with more shots. With IM you will never find out; it's impossible. There's nothing worrisome about what you got, especially since you don't, I'm guessing, know how big the shot charge was. There's no standard for speed through a light-operated chronograph anyway.

Neil

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

An ounce and an eighth is 492 grains. If you cut open some AA handicaps, sometimes they have as much as 515 grains in them.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . but that would not lead WW to load slow handicap shells, since they surely are _not_ loading according to a "reloading guide." They are writing them.

Neil

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Neil, these are my first attempts at chronographing shotgun reloads, and I plan on doing some more testing once weather gets closer to the temps I'll normally be shooting in (70 to 80 degrees). I know I didn't run enough factory shells over the chronograph, but I don't have many on hand right now, and basically was shooting them to get some sort of base to compare my reloads to.

Even though I'll be competing with light full or full, I should be testing loads with an open choke? I have a Beretta factory skeet choke I can use if need be.

~Michael

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Stokinpls, you'll see the smae thing in STS's!!

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My chrono is about the same for AA's super 7.5's. Average 1250 fps, +/-15 fps. Tested at 5' distance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
aa super handicap powder review
aa super-handicap powder
load data for winchester aa handicap powder
super handicap powder reviews
super handicap reloading data 40 s & w

winchester aa super handicap review

winchester super handicap powder loads

winchester super handicap powder review