1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

chronic eye watering

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1166, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1166

1166 Member

As I get older my eyes have developed a chronic watering condition making shooting very unplesant and at times practly imposible. Any one with advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm not a doctor, but my brother is, so I am qualified to say this:

My advice?

See a doctor.

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

The most common reason for eyes chronically watering is that they are getting dry. Sounds backwards doesn't it? There are many reasons that may cause the dryness, everything from poor tear quality to problems with your eyelids and glands. Your eye doc can figure out what is causing yours and offer treatment. For your reference I am an optometrist.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Let's see:

1)have my Trap Shooting buddies diagnose my eye issues with their own personal observations and he said she said

.....OR.....

2)go visit an eye Doctor who has a minimum of say at least 7 years of schooling on everything there is to know about eyes and training on how to deal with about all eye issues.

Tough one HUH?????

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

My eyes also fill with tears when I miss a target. What can be done about my problem?

Pat Ireland

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Pat- Quit missing!!

MK

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have the same condition. Asked my eye doctor and he said live with it. Maybe try eye drops.

I have decided to nickname him Dr. Mallard.

Don Verna

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I have the same problem, I went to my opthamalogist (sp) he said it was dry eyes also, and gave me a script for some eye drops that with the co pay worked out to about $100,000 per gallon, used it, it helped very little.

I now use Visine allegy relief, and it works pretty good, well at least as good as the stuff the Dr gave me, but a whole lot less

9. Unknown1

I have actually found that the longer I expose my eyes to cold wind the less they water yet they still don't feel bad. Doctor said they would adapt if I gave them the time. I've stopped going into the club house between rounds and the condition definitely subsides as time passes.

MK

10. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Just finished a long overdue trip to an Opthalmologist (sp?) to get my eye prescription redone. I mentioned the same problem to him, and he gave me a small bottle of "Systane Balance" which he recommended highly. It is OTC in drug stores. The difference between this and Visine and other drops is that it contains a small amount of oil that more closely mimics real tears' chemical make-up. Visine and others match the Ph, but not the chemistry. They work beautifully well for my dry eye problem as well as tears coming from wind over the glasses and Pat's very occasional "miss" problem as well.

Strictly FWIW…

Doc

11. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Just finished a long overdue trip to an Opthalmologist (sp?) to get my eye prescription redone. I mentioned the same problem to him, and he gave me a small bottle of "Systane Balance" which he recommended highly. It is OTC in drug stores. The difference between this and Visine and other drops is that it contains a small amount of oil that more closely mimics real tears' chemical make-up. Visine and others match the Ph, but not the chemistry. They work beautifully well for my dry eye problem as well as tears coming from wind over the glasses and Pat's very occasional "miss" problem as well.

Strictly FWIW…

Doc

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

If you are in the So-Cal area, I suggest consulting with the Jules Stein eye Institute at the UCLA campus. Larger institutions, in my view, become de-facto "clearing houses" for new information and are known and served by Dr.'s from that discipline(s) throught the area, at least in a 100 mile radius, often times more.

The same can be said for the House Ear Institute in Los Angeles. Yes, large metropolitan areas have their advantages along with stressful disadvantages.

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Just stop wearing mascara to the shoots. That's your problem right there.

14. Unknown1

I've tried the "Systane" drops and a few others that contain oils and have found that it takes quite a while for the oils to "film out" to the point where my vision isn't blurred by them.

A new contact lens wetting solution is being sold OTC by Bausch and Lomb. It's named "BioTrue" and it duplicates both the pH and the chemistry of natural tears. I've had some success with it washing my eyes before and during shooting on cold windy days.

MK

15. ken a

ken a Member

Shame on you guys making light of the mans problem with tears. I don't have the problem because I shut my eyes just before pulling the trigger.

16. andybull

andybull Active Member

Please go to our eye doctor first. Years ago my Ophthalmologist suggested I take Baush & Lomb's PreserVision, Two tablets in the morning, two in the evening. This is sold over the counter near the eye drops, it promotes eye health.

Caution; Smokers........Consult with your doctor before using.

Andy

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

1166 have you noticed it in cold weather? Or any weather conditions?

Mine water in colder windy conditions. Send e-mail or PM

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.