1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

chrome reciever

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

If you have a reciever satin chromed and it comes back screwed up can the chrome be removed and redone?

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Yes, had it happen to a handgun.

3. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The CHROME is an easy strip process,

nickel stripping on the other hand can be hard on the action.

AL

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Al is correct. Reversing the procedure will strip the chrome. Nickel can only be stripped with acid, and if done by a uncompetent shop, can lead to a disaster to the steel.

When I have nickel stripped, I pay to have an employee of the company tending the stripping from start to finish. The cost is $200. I've replated a dozen or so of K-80s, and when they've been stripped, it's been only the nickel.

Talk to Whiz White about stripping nickel at a shop where they bath the parts in acid and walk away, not a pretty sight.

Doug

5. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Along with watching from start to finish.

A fresh but seasoned Nickel strip is much easier on the steel,

Then one that is NEW and unused, or very old

It pays to ask questions

Al

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Stay away from CraftGuard in Des Moines, IA. They did a pretty good job trying to ruin a brand new Perazzi MX14.

I also have my 27 yard Perazzi in satin chrome. I would never do satin nickle again, only the chrome, if I have a choice. I had satin chrome done by A&A Engraving right here in Rapid City SD.

A&A is the company who does most of the commemoratives you see in the NRA magazines. Very professional, but now VERY busy. The owner, Mark Armstrong, did mine for nothing as a friend thing - he is a superb artist in gun-craft and has built one helluva business doing the same. I'd never impose upon him again, but his work was absolutely outstanding and 100% above any expectations I had.

Here a pic of it:
    [​IMG]

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.